I was on a slow cooker roll last week. I get into moods, and just because summer literally just began, doesn’t mean you can’t put that slow cooker to good use. I think it is a common misconception that the slow cooker is a winter appliance! No way! You can totally use that thing all year long, and there are plenty of recipes to get you through the summer! I like using my slow cooker because of how easy it makes weeknight meals. When I’m super busy, like I have been for the past week, it really makes dinner delicious and simple. This honey chipotle slow cooker chicken is everything you crave in a summer dish. It is sweet, spicy and packed full of flavor!
So we are off to the North in a few days, and I feel like I have a gazillion things to do. I don’t know why I do this to myself every time I go away for a few days. I feel like I am on top of things, until the week before, and then I realize I have a crap ton of stuff to get done. The anxiety kicks in, and I have to go for 12 runs just to calm myself down. Just kidding. I don’t run 12 times a days. That’s nuts!
Also, I don’t think the extreme amount of coffee helps. I’m literally on my fourth latte of the day. I’m just a TAD jittery! Ahh!
So anyway, to make a long story longer…
In the blogger world, it’s often important to have blog posts ready for publishing while you are away on vacation. Where I thought I was ahead of the game, I was completely wrong! … and it’s all for the love of food and beer.
You guys are so welcome. ;)
I think this whole anxiety thing going on is the reason I decided to post my IPA honey chipotle slow cooker chicken today. It soothes my soul in it’s easiness factor. I mean you throw everything in a slow cooker. That’s seriously all you have to do!
I like it best served over rice or in tortillas with some arugula. It’s also great with a sunny side-up egg, but I’m partial to this because I think eggs make the world go round.
Let’s talk beer!
Brewed By: Epic Brewing
Style: India Pale Ale
Description: I know I just cooked with this IPA, but I was on a roll last week and was practically obsessed with it! This IPA gives this chicken an added punch of flavor. Not only is it a spectacular pairing for this dish, but I think it’s even better in it! If you are looking for a beginner cooking with beer recipe, this one is for you! I mean literally, you just throw everything into a slow cooker and call it a day! This IPA is not crazy by any means, and that’s why I love it so much. It’s a great summertime drinking brew, with it’s florally aroma and funky notes. What’s even more spectacular, is that you can get it in the can! I just love this. It makes things so much easier! If you’re a newbie at cooking with beer, it doesn’t get much easier than this!
Have a great week everyone! Here is the yumtastic recipe!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces IPA beer
- 1/2 cup freshly squeeze orange juice
- 4-5 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce diced (more or less to taste)
- 14 ounces petite diced tomatoes canned, liquid drained
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey more to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- cilantro for garnish
- Place the chicken breast in your slow cooker set to high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper, and then add the chicken stock, IPA beer, orange juice, peppers, diced tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, honey garlic powder, chipotle chili powder and onion powder.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Serve on top of rice or quinoa or in tortillas. Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!