Happy Monday everyone! I hope you guys had a wonderful weekend! This being the middle of July (better known to us grilling enthusiasts as “National Grilling Month”) and all, I thought that the best way to let summer shine was to prepare one of my favorite summertime salads. What is so spectacular about this salad, is that it can be served either warm or cold … making it perfect for leftovers. Even better, it highlights one of my favorite flavors of summer: melon! Sweet … sweet melon! Along with showcasing this salad, I want to showcase some of my favorite summertime grilling tools!
Today, I am teaming up with OXO to showcase some of their brilliant, and super-duper fun summertime grilling tools! They have so many fun new products to make your grilling experience much easier than you ever thought it could be!
I tried to keep it sweet and cheap when it came to my meat choice for this recipe.
Let’s be honest, steak can get really expensive, and when you are feeding a family, sometimes a ribeye just isn’t going to cut it.
Skirt and flank steaks are the perfect cuts of meat when you have quite a few people to serve, but they tend to get a bad rap for not being tender enough (even when it is marinated for hours on end). This is where OXO’s Bladed Meat Tenderizer comes into play. This tool is by far one of my favorites because it tenderizes meat in just seconds.
Simply season your steak with a generous amount of salt and pepper and pierce the meat in several locations on each side of the meat. It’s amazing what this technique will do!
Another tool I found immensely useful when I was preparing this salad was the OXO Little Salad Dressing Shaker.
When it comes to making dressings, it doesn’t get any easier than this. I simply added all of my dressing ingredients into the shaker, sealed it shut, and shook it like crazy. It was ready in seconds. The little spout at the top makes pouring so incredibly easy and reduces the mess you would normally get from a larger vessel!
I’m so happy I had the chance to share some of my favorite OXO products with you today. Get grilling! Summer is flying by!
Other tools I use in this recipe:
… But before I call it quits for today, I just HAVE to share this beer pairing with you.
Brewed By: Goose Island
Style: Belgian-Style Wild Ale
Alcohol Content: 8.0%
Description: If you are in love with sours as much as I tend to be, then you will love Goose Island’s Juliet. This beer is everything you crave in a sour and so much more. What I get most from this beer in particular, is blackberry…glorious, glorious blackberry. With summer in full swing, the fruity notes you find in each sip of this beer really shine. With it’s wine-like characteristics, this beer is a perfect gateway beer. I like to think of a gateway beer as a beer that almost anyone will love, even if you are not a total hop head. The reason I love this beer for this salad, is because of those fruity notes. It really brings out the bold, fruitful flavors in the salad and is the perfect accompaniment.
Happy Monday! I hope everyone has a fabulous week! Here’s the recipe!
Grilled Steak Salad with Capellini and MelonPrint Pin Rate
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce found in the Asian section of your local supermarket
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- FOR THE SALAD
- 1 pound skirt or flank steak
- vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 pound capellini or angel hair pasta
- 1 large cucumber cut in half lengthwise and then sliced thin
- 2 cups fresh watermelon cubed
- 2 cups fresh cantaloupe cubed
- 1/4 cup red onion sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to high heat.
- Using the OXO Little Salad Dressing Shaker, combine the garlic, lime juice, sweet chili sauce, extra virgin olive oil, soy sauce, red pepper flakes and a dash of salt and pepper. Seal the top and shake until the dressing is smooth and combined. Set aside.
- Generously season both sides of your skirt or flank steak with salt and pepper.
- Using OXO's Bladed Meat Tenderizer, pierce the meat on both sides, then brush both sides of the meat with the OXO Silicone Basting Brush with canola or vegetable oil.
- Taking the OXO 16" Tongs, place the steak on the preheated grill, and grill until the steaks have reached your preferred level of doneness. For medium to medium-rare, grill a 1 pound skirt of flank steak for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove the steak from the grill and set aside to rest for 15 minutes.
- While your steak is resting, prepare your pasta. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. For capellini, this should only take 6-7 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Once the steak has rested, slice the steak against the grain in 1/2 inch slices.
- In a large bowl, add the dressing, cooked pasta, cucumber, watermelon, cantaloupe, red onion and pine nuts. Toss to evenly coat. Divide the pasta into 4 equal portions. Top with sliced steak and garnish with fresh cilantro. Eat warm or cold. The salad will keep in the fridge for a day or two.