These slow cooker taquitos are the perfect recipe to start in the morning and let cook all day!
Is it bad that I look forward to dinners where I don’t actually have to cook dinner. Ha! I’m “kind of” just kidding. Seriously though, I was talking with a blogger friend recently about this topic in particular. If you are a full-time blogger, you spend most of your days cooking and photographing your completed product. After a long day of cooking, you really don’t want to cook anymore. There is one way to solve this. Cook dinner early (and blog about it) and eat early or refrigerate and eat later. It’s all about the lighting, folks, and you can’t alway get a great shot after dark. This is why I ADORE recipes like this chipotle cheese slow cooker chicken taquitos dish. You can throw it in the slow cooker in the morning and just let it go. There are so many other reasons why it is a complete winner when it comes to a quick and easy dinner.
I am kind of obsessed with anything chipotle in flavor. I am a big fan of using chili powder in almost all of my dishes, BUT I’m an even bigger fan of using chipotle chili powder. It is one of my favorite spices. I think it is it’s general smokiness.
slow cooker …
What is not to love about everything going on in this dish!?
The slow cooker part really makes me happy. Especially with the start of the school year/fall season, the slow cooker is my go-to cooking vessel, especially after a long-day of cooking and photographing in the kitchen.
It pretty much goes like this. You throw everything in the slow cooker (except for the grated cheese, tortillas and garnishes of course), and you let it go. Seriously, you don’t even need to stir it.
You just let it go.
When all is said and done, you shred the chicken, layer it on top of tortillas with some grated cheese, roll them up and bake!
I like to serve them with salsa and guacamole and a side salad.
What’s even better, is that it is perfect for leftovers. I love to put the loose chicken on a bed of greens with a fried egg. It’s the perfect breakfast pick-me-up. ;)
Chipotle Cheese Slow Cooker Chicken TaquitosPrint Pin Rate
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce diced small
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 8-12 6- inch tortilla rounds flour or corn
- sour cream salsa, pico, avocado, and red onion (for topping/dipping)
- To your slow cooker, add the chicken breast, chicken broth, cream cheese, sour cream, chipotles, chipotle chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and salt. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
- Once the chicken has cooked, give it a good stir and shred the chicken with two forks. Keep the slow cooker set on warm or low.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat or spray with a non-stick spray.
- Prepare your tortillas by layering on a couple of tablespoons of shredded chicken and then topping with a tablespoon or two of grated cheese. Roll the tortillas up firmly and place, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Finish this step for the rest of the tortillas.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the tops are just beginning to brown and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with desired toppings.