There’s just something about a cool fall morning, where the leaves are turning colors and falling off the trees, and you just want a cup of coffee and a muffin. I love muffins for breakfast. Even more so, I like a muffin for breakfast when they have already been baked and are ready to be gobbled up. They are great on the go, and even better enjoyed in bed. In my mind, they are the ultimate comfort food. These chocolate chip pumpkin muffins can best be enjoyed with a pumpkin spice latte or, even better, a pumpkin ale!
These chocolate chip pumpkin muffins are everything you crave in a fall breakfast item. They are warm and sultry. They are the perfect bakery-style muffin. No seriously, they are just as good as a bakery muffin.
Muffins are easy, and can most of the time be made in one bowl. They keep for a couple of days and are perfect on the go. I highly recommend whipping up a batch sometime soon. You most certainly won’t regret it.
While you’re at…pair them with a pumpkin spice latte. ;)
…or for a more delicious pairing, pair with a pumpkin ale!
Beer: Dogfish Head’s Punkin Ale
Brewery: Dogfish Head
Style: Pumpkin Ale
Alcohol Content: 7.0%
Description: This pumpkin-style brown ale is a pumpkin beer lover’s dream ale. It is everything you crave in a pumpkin ale and so much more. What I love about Punkin is that it is sooooo much more than a pumpkin ale. It has so many other flavorful notes that sets it apart from many other beers that share the same style. Of course, I had to go with a pumpkin ale for this beer pairing, but it is because of this beer’s brown ale qualities that really sealed the deal. These muffins are bold and flavorful. They need a beer that’s bold enough to stand up to those bold flavors. At 7%, Punkin is the perfect way to go.
Have a great day everyone! Here’s the recipe!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and line a muffin tin with paper liners or spray with a non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, buttermilk, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, canola oil, eggs and vanilla extract until smooth.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and baking soda until thoroughly combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and fold the ingredients together until just moistened and all of the floured mixture has been absorbed. Do not overmix.
- Fill the muffin molds 3/4 of the way up with the batter.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then remove the muffins and transfer to a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
- The muffins will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container.