Can I let you guys in on a little secret? Are you ready for it? Please don’t laugh at me. Ok, so I’m not the best at making pancakes. Seriously, it’s like the simplest of all recipes to make, and I totally suck at it…most of the time. I can never get that perfect circular shape. The pancake batter is always either too runny or too thick, and I NEVER get bubbles. You know, those special little bubbles that pop up when pancakes are ready to be flipped? Those bubbles. So, when a pancake recipe actually works out for me, I jump for joy. This time it worked, and it worked in the form of coconut chocolate chip pancakes. Did I mention they are delicious and I’m 100% obsessed?
I am so obsessed in fact, that I made extra pancake dry mix and stored it in my pantry. I also wrote down the recipe so that I never, ever forget it. I’m usually super bad at this. I never write any thing down, and just try to remember it. This usually does not work in my favor. Not so smart, huh?
I’ve always been super organized in other realms of my life. I am a big to-do checklist kind of girl and I write down my schedule every day, but never recipes! Well, lately, I’ve been trying to write things down, and my life has been a whole lot easier. I think whipping up a pancake recipe that works is what whipped me into shape. I was so discouraged that I was forced to write it down. I never ever want to forget recipes such as these.
So these pancakes are amazing. Did I mention that? I did? Ok…well, they are. I’ve made them two ways: with all-purpose flour and with coconut flour. Both ways completely worked, but I have to be honest with you…I’m an AP kind of girl. Sure, it’s fun to play around with different types of nut and specialty flours (I’ve become super taken to oat flour), but my heart will always be with AP flour. You may use either flour for this recipe though.
The batter is your everyday buttermilk pancake batter, but I removed some of the buttermilk and added some coconut milk. I also threw shredded coconut and mini chocolate chips into the mix for some added texture and sweetness. Some fresh strawberries thrown on top are just the freshness you crave with such a decadent dish.
Happy Thursday! Enjoy the recipe because it will probably be a good six months before I share another pancake recipe! ;)
Coconut Chocolate Chip Pancakes with StrawberriesPrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour coconut flour may be substituted
- 1 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- diced strawberries sliced almonds, mini chocolate chips, butter, syrup, shredded coconut (for toppings)
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and shredded coconut. Create a well, and add the egg, buttermilk, coconut milk and vanilla extract. Fold the ingredients together until moistened. Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Preheat your griddle over medium heat, and spray with a non-stick spray.
- Dollop 1/4 cup poritions of the pancake batter directly onto the griddle. Cook for 4-5 minutes on one side, or until you see bubbles form. Flip the pancakes and cook for an addition 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, and repeat for the rest of the batter.
- Serve the pancakes with diced strawberries, sliced almonds, chocolate chips, butter, syrup and shredded coconut. Enjoy!