In honor if it being Saturday and all, I’m going to celebrate one of my favorite quick breakfasts. Besides the fact that I could eat breakfast every day, for every meal of the day, breakfast is full of possibilities. Do you go sweet, savory or both? Do you want to make it more brunch-style and serve some staple lunch items? Should fruit be involved? I’m always trying to come up with fun and unique ways to prepare breakfast. Breakfast pitas are my latest crave. There is always an egg involved and possibly a slice of bacon or two!
I think it’s the crispiness from the pita bread that has me so obsessed with breakfast pitas. It’s almost like a tostada, but bigger and more flavorful.
This particular breakfast pita is one of my favorites. The pita itself is topped with a mixture of ricotta cheese, mozzarella and cilantro. I toss it in the oven and let the cheese melt away.
Once the pita has crisped up and the cheese has melted, I top the breakfast pita with bacon, a fried or poached egg, avocado and about a cup of hot sauce.
No…not really a cup…but sometimes it feels like that much. I’m obsessed with hot sauce and eggs. I just can’t get over how much hot sauce adds to breakfast. I want to marry whoever came up with this idea.
It’s such a humble recipe, and I think that’s why I adore it so very much.
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- salt and black pepper
- 4 pieces of whole wheat pita
- 4 strips of bacon cooked until crisp and chopped
- 4 eggs fried, poached or scrambled
- 1 large avocado pitted and sliced
- hot sauce optional
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, foil or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, mozzarella, chopped cilantro and a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- Smear the cheese mixture onto the 4 pieces of pita bread. Place in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melty and the pita begins to crisp up. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle on the bacon and place the egg on top. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and top with avocado. Drizzle a little bit of hot sauce if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!
This looks seriously amazing! So hearty and cheesy. Love the hot sauce to cut all that richness, and the hefeweizen sounds perfect!
Thank you so much, Allie! I love that you appreciate the beer pairings! <3
This is so my kind of breakfast, love everything about it! Especially that egg!
I’m so happy you agree, Matt! The egg is definitely the best part. ;) Thanks!
Thanks, girl! You’re the best. ;)
Breakfast pitas! This is such a great idea. I’ve recently done a baked eggs recipe with spinach and ricotta, and this is sort of like putting that on a crunchy pita. Total genius! I’ll definitely be putting this in my weekend lineup. Pinned and pinned! And a Hefeweizen for breakfast? You’re speaking my language! I love the concept of this blog, so glad I’ve stumbled upon it.
Haha, I’m so glad that we are on the same page for a Hefeweizen for breakfast! Thank you so much, Katie! Have a great weekend!