Spring chicken salad is the perfect lunch recipe or picnic potluck recipe! It can be served as a sandwich or all by itself!
It’s an addiction I think. When it comes to chicken salad, I just can’t stop. When spring rolls around, all I want is ice cream, strawberries and homemade chicken salad. Who am I kidding…I could eat ice cream with it being -20 degrees F out and be perfectly content, but I think you understand. These spring chicken salad sandwiches with lentils and spicy honey mayo is the most recent twist on a classic to make it into the old recipe vault. Perfect for a picnic, quick lunch or late afternoon snack this sandwich is pretty to look at, has the perfect amount of texture and is loaded with an insane amount of flavor.
It’s no wonder I am obsessed with anything that involves chicken salad. I mean you can find a recipe here…
oh … and here too …
It has been quite some time since I’ve posted a chicken salad recipe, so here we are and I may just bombard you with chicken salad recipes for the rest of the spring/summer. Chicken salad is the perfect blank slate to create something magical, and it goes above and beyond chicken breast, grapes, celery and a mayo dressing. It can be oh so much more than that! This spring chicken salad sandwich recipe is one of my favorite and combines some of my favorite flavors.
Diced chicken breast is tossed with fresh peas, fully-cooked green lentils, celery, green onions and roasted cashews for some texture. It all gets folded together in an addicting spicy honey mayo dressing that I literally could slurp up with a spoon. It’s a great salad to serve on top of a bed of arugula or soft sandwich rolls.
Pair these scrumptious spring chicken salad sandwiches with a crisp pale ale and have a wonderful Monday everyone! xo
Spring Chicken Salad Sandwiches with Lentils and Spicy Honey Mayo
- 2/3 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoon chili garlic sauce I used Huy Fong
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound fully-cooked boneless and skinless chicken breast diced small or shredded
- 1 celery stalk diced small
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1 cup green lentils cooked per manufacturer's instructions
- 3/4 cup roasted and chopped cashews
- 2 tablespoons green onions sliced
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 4 ounces goat's cheese
- sandwich rolls lettuce wraps or wraps
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayo, chili garlic sauce, honey, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Adjust seasoning to taste and add chili garlic sauce, honey or more mayo where desired.
- To the bowl with the dressing, add the chicken, celery, peas, lentils, cashews and green onions. Fold the ingredients together until combined. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Assemble your chicken salad sandwiches on top of beds of lettuce, sandwich rolls, wraps or lettuce wraps. Top with fresh baby arugula and goat's cheese.
- The chicken salad with store for 2-3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.