Paired with a Pilsner
Happy Sunday, friends! I feel like last week just flew by! I was definitely having my doubts towards the beginning of the week. I definitely had expected it to drag, but with so much going on on our lives how could it have slowed down? Zach and I are in Montreal for the week, so I will apologize ahead of time for being somewhat out of the game. We drove and yes, I know, we are nuts. Unless we are crossing an ocean, we normally drive because we have a little fur baby that likes to tag along. Cilantro, as strange as he is, loves car rides…and I ADORE a good road trip. I will try to Instagram as much as possible. I promise. ;)
I eat eggs almost every day of the week. While an omelet is usually my go-to, I eat baked eggs probably once or twice a week to shake things up a bit. I love baking eggs because I can throw them in the oven and get whatever I need to get done for my morning routine. My latest obsession is baked eggs in marinara sauce. I know it kind of sounds like it wouldn’t work, but trust me it really does. Baked eggs in marinara sauce are even better when they have a ton of gooey cheese thrown on top. Let’s be honest, that’s why I REALLY eat baked eggs.
End this weekend with something delicious and hearty. These baked eggs and sausage in marinara sauce are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Pair them with a pilsner and have a wonderful day! xo
Baked Eggs and Sausage in Marinara SaucePrint Pin Rate
- 1/3 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup of your favorite marinara sauce store-bought
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chiffonaded basil for topping
- toasted ciabatta for dipping
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and spray two large oven-safe ramekins with a non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium non-stick skillet, add the sausage. Cook over medium heat until fully-cooked, about 6-7 minutes. Transfer to a plate that has been lined with a paper towel to get rid of any excess grease.
- To your prepared ramekins, divide the marinara and sausage among both of them. Crack two eggs into each ramekin, and top with heavy cream. Sprinkle each evenly with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Bake the eggs for 12-14 minutes or until the eggs are done to your liking and the cheese is bubbly in brown. Remove from heat and let stand for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve garnished with fresh basil and enjoy with a slice of toast!