Potato Salad with Soft-Boiled Eggs and Maple Mustard Dressing is a summer picnic recipe that you need to add to your recipe box!
Yukon gold potatoes are boiled in salted water and then chilled for the ultimate tenderness with a slight bite that you crave with a potato salad. They are tossed in a maple mustard vinaigrette that delivers on mustard-flavor with a touch of sweetness. Serve it with perfectly soft-boiled eggs and you have a fun spin on a classic that can’t be matched!
So, I love potato salad. Like I love, love, love it. I am super picky when it comes to potato salad, however. I’ve had maybe one store-bought potato salad that I’ve enjoyed. They’re either over “mayoed” or too vinegary. There is never enough mustard, and you guys know how I feel about mustard; and if there are any eggs at all they are usually chopped so finely that you can hardly taste them!
This is why I normally make my own potato salad, and why shouldn’t I? Potato salad is one of the easiest recipes in the book to make? The best part about whipping up a batch of potato salad, is that you can make it over the weekend and snack on it all week long!
What, you guys don’t snack on potato salad?! Potato salad is my late-night snacking vice. What is also so great about potato salad, is how creative you can get with it. This time around I decided to go with a mustard-based one. I skipped the mayo (or any other creamy element) completely, and kept it light, refreshing, and quite nutritious! The soft-boiled egg add the perfect amount of protein and the fresh parsley adds a necessary earthiness.
This potato salad with soft-boiled eggs is a must-make for the fourth of July friends. Pair it with a Belgian-style ale of some kind. I like to lean towards the strong pale ale side of things, especially in the summer time. The Belgian(iness) will really highlight the mustard in this recipe. It’s a pairing that can’t be beat! Recipe is below! Have a wonderful day everyone! xo
- 1 1/2 pound Yukon gold potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and black pepper
- 4 large room temperature eggs
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Add the potatoes to a large pot. Fill with just enough water so that the potatoes are submerged. Season with salt and place on the stove over medium-high heat. Cook the potatoes until just tender. You don't want them to be too mushy. Pull from the stove and drain. Transfer immediately to the refrigerator to chill.
- Meanwhile, prepare your eggs. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the eggs, and cook for 7 minutes for soft-boiled eggs. Remove from heat and transfer the eggs immediately to an ice bath to cool down quickly. Once cool, peel the eggs and slice them in half. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the whole grain mustard, vinegar, dijon mustard, maple syrup and a dash of salt and black pepper until it is completely smooth. While you continue to whisk, start drizzling in the olive oil. Then whisk the dressing until perfectly smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste and set aside.
- Toss the potatoes with the dressing in a large bowl and transfer to a large serving platter. Strategically place the sliced eggs and then garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy immediately or refrigerate until you are ready to serve!