Paired with a Pilsner
Hello everyone! Long time no talk! I don’t count yesterday’s post (which by the way is a giveaway for your own KitchenAid stand mixer with ice cream attachment … so uh hello … head on over to enter) which didn’t contain a recipe. It’s seriously only been a week, but I feel like it’s been so long since I’ve had the chance to chit-chat with you guys! I’m so happy to be back.
It’s been a crazy couple of weeks, and it all slows down today. Between moving into our temporary living situation, and entertaining close family, I’m on the brink of falling over. I think I will dedicate this upcoming weekend to sleeping…all day…and all night. Hey, I can do that now right? I mean I do live at almost 8000 feet now. You tend to get sleepier at this altitude…at least that’s what I’m telling myself to make myself feel better. Right? Right.
Before I do pass out, I’m going to talk about breakfast for a hot second. One thing I miss most when living in a hotel is warm, homemade breakfast. Oh sure, the Hilton can put on a good breakfast show, but it’s nothing like making your own. That’s what I craved most when living in a hotel for a week. My body is definitely not accustomed to eating out for every single meal of the day. Of all the dishes I craved, I craved baked eggs the most. In normal Justine life, I eat baked eggs at least 2-3 times a week. It’s one of my favorite ways to eat eggs, and these baked eggs with creamed spinach is one of my latest obsessions. It’s creamy, melty, gooey and so comforting. If you are a fan of eggs of the baked variety, give it a go! It’s super delish.
Recipe for these baked eggs is below! Pair it with a pilsner if you’re feeling extra spunky, and have a wonderful day! xo
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- salt and black pepper
- 8 room temperature eggs
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- fresh thyme for garnish
- homemade croutons or bread crumbs for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 4 large ramekins (or small cast iron skillets) with a non-stick spray and place them on a large baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add 1/4 cup of water. Add the spinach and cook for about 2 minutes, tossing frequently, until wilted. Transfer to a strainer and press out any remaining liquid. Set aside.
- To the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the spinach, heavy cream, mustard and a generous amount of salt and black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes until warmed through and thick. Remove from heat.
- Divide the spinach evenly among the prepared ramekins. Break 2 eggs into each ramekin and sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake for about 8 minutes for runny eggs, or cook longer until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Remove from heat and garnish with fresh thyme and bread crumbs. Enjoy!