Paired with a Porter
There is little in this world more comforting than biscuits and gravy. Let’s be honest. It’s like the ultimate in ultimate comfort foods. While I don’t devour biscuits and gravy on a daily basis (I may explode), I do like to occasionally dabble.
Biscuits are popular around here. We make them all the time. Sometimes I get super creative and spend all day in the kitchen whipping up a new biscuit recipe. Other times I just want biscuits, and I want biscuits quickly. When I come across a biscuit recipe that only contains 3 ingredients and almost no work, I get crazy happy. These 3-ingredient cheesy biscuits make me very very happy. They are the perfect base for a gravy that just screams “autumn’s a-coming!”
The recipe is all very simple. 3-ingredient cheesy biscuits are made from King Arthur’s Unbleached Self-Rising Flour, heavy cream and extra-sharp cheddar cheese. That is seriously it! These three ingredients are mixed together and then patted into a tall disc. After 2″ wide biscuits have been cut from the dough, they are baked on a parchment-lined baking sheet to a golden perfection. These cheesy biscuits are then topped with the most decadent gravy ever!
There is no skimping on this gravy. It’s all about the comfort, and the simple addition of an apple sets it apart from most other sausage gravy recipes! Apple is sauteed in a little bit of butter and then set aside. To the same pan, sweet Italian sausage is added and cooked until brown. Flour and whole milk are then mixed in to give the perfect consistency. Some essential spices and herbs are thrown in and then the apple is added back to the pan. It’s good you guys. So good.
Recipe for these 3-ingredients cheesy biscuits with apple sausage gravy is below! Serve them with a porter and have a wonderful weekend! xo
3-Ingredient Cheesy Biscuits
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Self-Rising Flour
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream more as needed
Apple Sausage Gravy
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 red apple I used Gala, diced small (divided)
- 1 pound loose sweet Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley divided
- kosher salt as needed
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and situate the rack to the upper third. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Grate or shred the cheese and toss it with the flour. Add the cream, stirring to make a cohesive dough. If the dough seems to dry, add more heavy cream (in 1 tablespoon increments) until the dough comes together nicely. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface
- Pat the dough into a disc 3/4" to 1" thick.
- Using a 2" cutter (or other size of your choice) to cut rounds out of the dough. Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with more cream to help brown the crust.
- Bake the biscuits for 15-18 minutes, until they're golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- While the biscuits are baking, prepare your apple sausage gravy.
- Melt the butter in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add all but 1 tablespoon of the diced apple and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring continuously until the apple is just brown and caramelized. Remove the apple from the pan and set aside. Leave the stove on.
- Add the sausage to the same pan. Break up the sausage as it cooks until it is brown and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in the milk slowly and continue to cook for about 8 minutes or until the gravy is nice and thick, stirring frequently. Season with black pepper and cayenne pepper. Add salt if needed and stir in most of the parsley, leaving some for garnish. Stir the apple back in. Remove from heat.
- Serve the gravy over the cheesy biscuits and garnish with parsley and diced apple. Enjoy!
3-Ingredient Cheesy Biscuit recipe via King Arthur Flour.