Fudgy Bourbon Brown Butter Brownies: moist, delicious and simple brownie recipe for the ones you love most!
A simple brownie batter is made from melted chocolate, brown butter, bourbon, sugar, flour and other baking necessities. Baked until firm, the brownies cool while you prepare the decadent frosting. This frosting is made from melted chocolate, confectioner’s sugar, milk and cream cheese. Mixed until smooth and creamy, spread this frosting onto the now cooled brownies. Chill in the freezer for a half hour for the perfect slicing consistency and share with you favorite people!
So I’m pretty sure the question of century is which do you prefer: fudgy or cakey brownies. Me? I’m a fudgy kind of brownie lover. Let’s leave cakey for chocolate cake perhaps? In addition to having the perfect fudgy brownie, there has to be something soft and decadent to spread on top. Fudgy brownies with smooth chocolate frosting: this is what makes my world go round.
Now most of you know that I am a terrible baker, which is the reason you don’t see many desserts on this here blog. Most of the time, I stick to the savory stuff. This doesn’t make me sad. I tend to a have a salty tooth over a sweet tooth. It’s not that I don’t like a sweet treat every once in a while, I just really really dislike making them. I prefer visiting my favorite bakery and taking care of my sweet tooth there. I also absolutely hate photographing desserts, especially when said desserts are brown. No one like photographing brown food. I don’t care who you are and how crazy your skills may be.
So anyway, I will make an exception every once in a while though. I’m not terrible at baking crumb cakes. There’s usually no rising involved with these kinds of cakes. I also have basically perfected the pot de creme. Hey, I can even whip up a good ice cream recipe once in a while!
Today I have decided to share these fudgy bourbon brown butter brownies with you. I love bourbon (almost as much as I love beer) and I love brown butter even more. Smash the two together? Heaven, you guys…heav-en.
Recipe for these bourbon brown butter brownies are below. Pair them with an bourbon barrel-aged stout and throw yourself a little party. You just made the best brownies EVER!
Fudgy Bourbon Brown Butter BrowniesPrint Pin Rate
For the Brownies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
For the Chocolate Frosting
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons milk more as needed
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8x8in baking pan with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang for easy release later on. Spray with a nonstick spray and set aside.
- Add the butter to a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Melt the butter and continue to cook until the butter is bubbly and brown bits have started to form on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat immediately to keep from burning and transfer the butter to a large bowl.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 25 second increments until completely melted, stirring after each increment (it took me 1 minute total to melt the chocolate). Add to the large bowl with the brown butter.
- To the bowl, whisk in the sugars until smooth and creamy. Add each egg, one at a time, whisking after each addition. Whisk in the bourbon, vanilla and salt. Fold in the flour until just moistened and pour into the prepared baking pan. Smooth out the top with an offset spatula.
- Bake the brownies for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely at room temperature.
- While the brownies are cooling, prepare your frosting. Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 25 second increments until completely melted, stirring after each increment (it took me 1 minute total to melt the chocolate). Add it to the bowl of a stand mixer, with paddle attachment fixed. Add the cream cheese also to the bowl. Mix until smooth. Add the confectioner's sugar in 1/2 cup increments with the mixer speed set on low until all has been added. Add the salt and the milk and mix again. The frosting should be fairly thick, but if it is still too thick to spread, add more milk to reach this consistency.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled brownies and cover with foil. Place the brownies in the fridge for 30 minutes before releasing them from the pan and slicing them.
- Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Enjoy!