These sriracha honey chicken wings are a must-have for game day! They are addicting, delicious and super simple!
You guys know we are getting close. Oh sure, summer coming to an end is never exciting, but we have much to look forward to! Football season is right around the corner! College or professional, we all know that American football is one of the most celebrated sports once fall rolls around.
Besides the multiple fantasy leagues we join and the numerous beers we consume, the best part of football season is the food, and our obsession with it has only grown in past years. I remember a couple of years ago when the grocery stores couldn’t keep avocados and chicken wings stocked on game day. Guacamole and chicken wings…that’s basically what football season is all about.
While people are already starting to post pumpkin recipes, it’s a little too soon for me. Don’t worry, there will be plenty of pumpkin to go around in a couple of weeks. I want to celebrate football season first. Football is definitely in season before pumpkins are! I almost cried when I already saw pumpkin craft brews gracing the shelves of my local grocery store. Come on you guys…
First on the list of extreme tailgating recipes are these sriracha honey chicken wings. Zach is OBSESSED with wings, and because I refuse to let him use the deep fryer anymore (I actually made him throw it away – that thing is the devil), we’ve grown quite accustomed to baking them. I know this scares some people. How can you get that crispiness without frying them?! Well, I am here to prove you wrong. You can get just as much crispiness without making a huge mess and having that “fry smell” that lingers in your house for days! These sriracha honey chicken wings need to be added to your game day menus this year! Put it in the vault!
Recipe is below. Pair these wings with something hoppy, like an IPA. If this combination doesn’t define “football,” I don’t know what does. Have a wonderful day everyone! xo
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce divided (like Tabasco)
- 4 pounds chicken wings and drumettes
- salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sriracha
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon chipotle hot sauce
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- sesame seeds and chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and the hot sauce. Add the wings to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight. Remove from fridge, drain completely and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Spray generously with a non-stick spray. Pour the wings onto the prepared baking sheet and space apart evenly. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper and bake for 45-50 minutes or until brown and crispy, flipping the chicken wings at the 35 minute mark.
- While your wings are baking, prepare your sriracha honey sauce. To a small saucepan, add the butter, sriracha, honey, chipotle hot sauce, soy sauce and garlic powder. Whisk to combine and cook over medium low heat, until the butter has melted and the sauce is smooth. Remove from heat and transfer the sauce to a large bowl.
- Add the crispy chicken wings to the bowl with the sauce and toss to evenly coat. Garnish with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
It’s 100% too soon for me to start the pumpkin as well, let me get through August please????! My husband (and me of course) would DIE over these! So saucy!
Right?! Thanks lady! <3 <3
These look sooo amazing! YUM!
Ok, you aren’t messing around with this recipe even a little bit. Buttermilk and soak overnight! HECK YES! My husband is going to love these. We are huge football fans so this is happening for sure one of those gameday weekends!
Thanks, Krista! You’re the best! <3
Love these wings, I make a similar honey sriracha sauce and will definitely try them! It sure is a little too early for pumpkin :)
I’m glad we are on the same page. ;) Thanks Mira!
The colors on these wings are amazing! Love the red orange from the sriracha and the sweetness of the honey to balance out the heat :)
Thank you so much, Medha!
We are looking forward to football season at our house too! LOVE these wings! Pinned!
Thanks for the pin, Mariah!
I can’t wait to for fall and football season! Who doesn’t like yummy snack and bar food?! And these honey sriracha wings? Sign me up!
ME TOO! Thanks so much, Meg!
These look like my perfect chicken wing! Sweet and spicy, so yum!
Thank you so much, Michelle!
These look absolutely perfect! I love wings!