Caramelized Orange and Fig Salad is a light side dish or appetizer recipe that’s simple and on the table in under 30 minutes!
Figs and oranges are caramelized in warm honey in a nonstick skillet. Once brown and perfectly caramelized the figs and oranges are removed from the pan, and white wine vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil is added to the pan to create a simple and delicious salad dressing. The figs and oranges are laid on top of peppery baby arugula and then sprinkled with feta cheese. A drizzle of homemade dressing is added and that’s it! Caramelized orange and fig salad is great for a party, a dinner for two or a quick lunch!
Good morning friends! How is everyone’s week going? I have decided to not post a recipe tomorrow (Friday). It’s just been a crazy, insane week with us moving and all. I hope you guys don’t mind. I know, I am a total slacker, but I am making up for it by posting the perfect recipe for your weekend parties: this caramelized orange and fig salad. And if you aren’t having any parties, make this salad for yourself why don’t ya?!
I feel like we forget that it is still fig season. I know that I forget. We get all wrapped up in pumpkin and squash, and forget that figs are in season through fall! While prime citrus season is still a ways off, I love the combination of figs and oranges. This salad highlights those flavors.
I’m going to let the photos do most of the talking today and keep it short and sweet! Those boxes aren’t going to unpack themselves! Recipe for this caramelized orange and fig salad is below! Pair it with a pale ale that’s heavy in citrus notes and have a wonderful day! xo
Caramelized Orange and Fig SaladPrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup honey more as needed
- 10 ripe figs cut in half
- 2 large oranges peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 clove of garlic finely minced
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- 4 cups fresh greens I used baby arugula
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the honey. Allow the honey to warm up for about 2 minutes and then add the figs, cut side down. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until the figs are nice and caramelized. Remove from the figs from the pan.
- Add more honey to the pan if it seems to have reduced a lot, and then add the sliced oranges. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until they are slightly brown and caramelized. Remove the oranges from the pan and turn the heat off.
- Whisk the white wine vinegar, garlic, and salt and black pepper into whatever honey is left. Then gently pour the olive oil into the pan, whisking vigorously until all has been added. Set aside.
- Assemble your salad by layering the greens on a serving platter. Place the oranges and figs on top and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle with fresh feta and serve!