Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Pretzel Bites with Homemade Blue Cheese: a bite-sized appetizer recipe that’s perfect for game day!
These bites are the perfect mini food. They are spicy, flavorful and super addicting. A simple buffalo chicken filling is made with shredded chicken breast, cream cheese, celery, cayenne pepper sauce and some essential seasonings. The filling is then stuffed inside a simple pretzel dough where it is folded up into a bite-sized package. After the pretzels have boiled in water laced with baking soda and baked to a golden perfection, they are served with a homemade blue cheese dressing. This recipe is the perfect way to wow your guests at your next game day party!
Good morning my lovely readers! I hope everyone is having a fab week! It’s almost over, and I can’t wait for the weekend to begin. It has been kind of crazy around here and it’s only going to get crazier. I basically will be traveling the entire month of October, and I feel like I have so much to get done before next week!
Of course, I am nowhere near done being unpacked. Well I’m getting there, but let’s be honest, I stopped unpacking on Tuesday and I haven’t felt like going through any more boxes. Do we really need all of our summer clothes at this point? I mean it’s going to snow here in WY in like a week. YES THAT’S RIGHT. A WEEK.
Anywho, our backyard is in the process of being finished so there’s that to deal with, and then there’s keeping up with this whole blog thing! Which is definitely my favorite part and I feel like I haven’t been able to devote enough time to it. I apologize for this. I will get better. I promise
I appreciate you guys letting me vent for a second. :) Anyway, I made and photographed these stuffed buffalo chicken pretzel bites with homemade blue cheese before we moved. I have made so many renditions of this recipe. There was one recipe that was just plain. Another one that was stuffed with jalapeno, bacon and cream cheese. Yup, kind of like a jalapeno popper. I think I need to post that recipe too, don’t you think? Of all my variations of this recipe, this version is by far my favorite.
Zach has an outrageous obsession with anything buffalo chicken and let’s be honest, I don’t hate it.
The recipe may look daunting, but that’s just because I wanted to be super thorough. It’s really not all that bad. It just seems like a lot. This recipe is a great one to serve for a large crowd as you can make a ton at one time.
Do it! Make them!
Recipe for these stuffed buffalo chicken pretzel bites with homemade blue cheese is below! Pair them with an IPA and have a wonderful Thursday everyone!
Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Pretzel Bites with Homemade Blue Cheese DressingPrint Pin Rate
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Pretzel Bites
- 1 fully-cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper sauce like Frank's Red Hot
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 envelope active dry yeast 2 1/4 teaspoons
- 3/4 cups warm water
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 quarts of water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- celery sticks for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, sour cream, buttermilk, whole milk, white wine vinegar and black pepper until smooth and creamy. Fold in the blue cheese. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Pretzel Bites
- First prepare your buffalo chicken filling. In a large bowl, fold together the shredded chicken, cream cheese, celery, cayenne pepper sauce, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast and the water. Let stand for 5 minutes or until the yeast foams. Add the yeast mixture, flour and salt to the bowl of your stand mixer, with dough hook attachment fixed. Mix on medium-low speed for about 5 minutes or until the dough comes together in a ball around the hook. If you find that the dough isn't coming together, add a little bit more water until it does. Transfer the ball to a large bowl that has been drizzled with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Toss to coat the entire dough ball and then cover with a damp towel. Let it rest until it has doubled in size, about 1-2 hours.
- Once the dough has doubled, transfer it to a lightly-floured work surface. Form it into a large square, about 1 inch high and cut it into 2-inch squares (I had about 10 squares when all was said and done - this will vary).
- Place a tablespoon of the buffalo chicken mixture into the middle of each square. Brush the edges with beaten egg, fold up the sides and pinch. Roll the dough around in your hands until it forms a ball and place it, seam side down, on a large plate. Repeat this step for the rest of the squares.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil. Once boiling, very slowly add the baking soda. Be careful not to dump it in. It will foam up and over if you do. Add it in very small increments. Add the bites to the boiling water in batches of 3 and boil for about a minute. With a spider spatula, transfer the bites to the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the pretzel bites with egg and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Bake them for 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately with homemade blue cheese and celery. Enjoy!