Paired with an Imperial Red Ale
Good morning everyone! Happy Monday! I hope you guys had a wonderful weekend and indulged in all kinds of game day treats. You know that I have to continue this trend on my obsession with all things football food. I mean we only have so much time! Football season is so short, and there’s not much more I love in this world than the perfect game day feast. These slow cooker meatball subs have become a staple in our house for game day, and I’m super excited to finally share the recipe with you!
I feel like with each passing year, game day food is elevated in some way. I remember the days when game day food meant hot dogs and chicken wings. While hot dogs and chicken wings still grace the menus of my game day parties, I like to jazz it up. We have to keep things exciting, don’t we?
Over the years we have quickly gone from French onion dip to guacamole and hot dogs to gourmet burgers. We have emptied out the local grocery stores on Saturdays and Sundays, by purchasing every avocado and chicken wing they have in stock. It’s crazy how food plays such an important role in tailgating and game day parties. I think some people like football just for the food!
With each passing year, football season becomes more foodie-centric, and I am definitely not upset about this. These slow cooker meatball subs are my ode to football season. While I love to cook for others, I don’t enjoy being stuck in the kitchen for hours during a football game. I want to enjoy the game and my guests, and being trapped by a hot stove does not sound like much fun. This is why making slow cooker recipes for game day is just about the best idea ever.
Slow cooker meatball subs are the perfect recipe for game day, as it keeps you out of kitchen and enjoying the game. Slow cooked meatballs are drenched in addicting homemade Parmesan, white cheddar queso and lay on a perfectly soft Cobblestone White Sub Rolls. These rolls are the perfect vessel for a perfectly seasoned meatball. They take your ordinary meatball sub to a whole new level of flavor and elevate your entire sandwich experience! This is one recipe you guys have to try!
Recipe for these slow cooker meatball subs is below! Add them to your game day menus! You will be so glad you did!
For more ways to enjoy a tailgating experience at home, check out this fun round-up from AOL!
Slow Cooker Meatball Subs with Parmesan, White Cheddar QuesoPrint Pin Rate
For the Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- ¼ cup finely minced yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups store-bought marina your favorite brand
- 8 Cobblestone Bread Co. White Sub Rolls
For the Parmesan, White Cheddar Queso
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, breadcrumbs, eggs, parsley, onion, garlic, Parmesan cheese, oregano, salt, chili powder, and black pepper. Fold the ingredients together with clean hands until fully incorporated. Using a tablespoon-sized scoop, form the mixture into equal-sized meatballs. Set aside.
- To the bowl of your slow cooker, add 1 ¼ cups of the marinara sauce. Place the meatballs on top and pour the remaining ¾ cup of the marinara sauce on top. Slow cook the meatballs for 4 hours on low or 2 hours on high. Keep them warm while you prepare your queso.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 2 minutes, whisking constantly until golden brown. Whisk in the milk and cook for about 2 minutes or until thickened. If you find that the mixture is too thick (paste-like), add more milk until the consistency is just thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Reduce the heat to low, and add the Parmesan and white cheddar cheeses in ¼ cup increments. Make sure each addition is fully melted before adding the next. Stir in the cayenne pepper. Keep the queso warm on the stove until you are ready to assemble your sandwiches.
- Assemble your meatball subs by layering the meatballs on a soft Cobblestone Bread Co. White Sub Roll. Drizzle with queso and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Serve the meatball subs immediately or alternatively, you may wrap the subs in foil and refrigerate. When you are ready to serve, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and place the subs in the oven for about 10 minutes or until warm.