The substitution of regular unsalted butter for brown butter is what sets these eggnog cookies apart from the rest. They are soft, with an essence of eggnog, and have the perfect burst of spice. These brown butter eggnog cookies are a must-make this holiday season!
Eggnog and I have a kind of love/hate relationship. I love a good cup of eggnog, but I don’t love rum. Oh, don’t get me wrong. I’ll occasionally order a cocktail that contains rum, if it’s super sugary, does not taste like rum, and the craft beer menu is terrible. I don’t go crazy over rum, like I do over bourbon or scotch or any other liquor that’s similar. This is why my rum in my eggnog is usually replaced with bourbon.
Don’t judge me. It really is like the best thing ever.
These brown butter eggnog cookies are my ode to eggnog. They are a little unconventional, however. There is no rum extract in these little cuties, but feel free to add it into the mix if you feel the deep desire to stay classic. I won’t be insulted. I promise.
Another super unconventional ingredient in these eggnog cookies is the brown butter. Now, I’m sure many of you have had your fair share of eggnog cookies. They are buttery. Like REALLY buttery, so take that butter and add the nutty flavor that goes along with browning butter. You guys, it’s a glorious transformation, and it’s so worth the extra little step of browning the butter and chilling it. Who doesn’t love to keep a large amount of brown butter in their fridge? It’s great for sauteing your favorite vegetable or baking up your favorite cakes.
Give these brown butter eggnog cookies a try this year and pair them with a spiced ale or stout. Have a great day, friends! xo
Brown Butter Eggnog Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup eggnog
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup eggnog
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- To a large skillet, add the 3/4 cups of butter (1 1/2 sticks). Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until the butter begins to brown and brown bits form on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat immediately and transfer to a container. Let cool for about 30 minutes and then cover and refrigerate until it is still soft, but solid.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line to large cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, with paddle attachment fixed, add the brown butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix until smooth and creamy. Add the egg yolks and mix again until fully combined. Add the vanilla extract and eggnog and mix again until incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves. With the mixer speed set on low, gradually add the dry ingredients. Continue mixing until just incorporated.
- Using a tablespoon-sized scoop, dollop the cookies on the prepared cookie sheets. Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until just set around the edges. Remove from heat and let the cookies cool on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool the rest of the way.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare your frosting. In the stand mixer, with paddle attachment fixed, add the 1/2 cup unsalted butter, eggnog, vanilla extract, nutmeg, salt and confectioner's sugar. With the mixer speed set on low, mix the ingredients until fluffy.
- Spread the frosting on the cookies and store in an airtight container for about a week. Enjoy!
Love how sweet and Christmassy these cookies are- and they look so soft :)
1. No one should be judged for replacing anything with Bourbon. GOOD DECISIONS.
2. Brown butter is always right.
3. THESE COOKIES LOOK AMAZING.
These are a great option for my next cookie bake off!
Justine, first off, I love the site!! It is so festive, but totally you! Secondly, these cookies are out-of-this-world! I was not a big eggnog lover until I made some homemade and bam! Totally in love! I would have been so happy to receive these cookies for my swap (cannot wait to post mine tomorrow!)
Eggnog is my FAVORITE. Love!❤️
Those cookies look amazing – you convinced that I needed them as soon as I read brown butter! Also, love the new site – it looks fantastic!
Oh my gosh… I am in cookie heaven! These sound delightful!
I love how thick and chewy these are! And that frosting looks amazing. Bourbon eggnog sounds like something I need to try. :) Thanks for the idea!
Did you make these just for me? Aw, thanks! Seriously, I am in love with everything egg nog. I want a stack of these cookies for myself!
I LOVE the brown butter in these! I want to dive right in!
these are so great. brown butter and eggnog sounds great together!!