Rosy Cheek (Spiked Winter White Hot Chocolate): a nutty and buttery eggnog-like drink that’s perfect for the holidays! Pair them with your favorite holiday cookies, or just dip them right in!
One of the things I love most about the cold and snowy winter season is the idea of warming up in the greatest ways imaginable. Whether it’s keeping that fire ablaze, “It’s a Wonderful Life” playing on the tube in the background as you ice the sugar cookies, wrapping up in a cozy blanket, or eating and drinking the most comforting food and drinks, it’s that cozy sensation you feel. That amazing warm sensation you feel. I love winter. I love it more than any other season. It’s a good thing I live in an area where winter lasts from September to June. Seriously you guys, we’ve had snow piled in our front yard since October. I know, right? We didn’t even put in an air conditioner when we built our house. Ha!
Oh, and the drinks…I LOVE the drinks. You guys already know about my obsession with beer. I love a good stout or the perfect barleywine this time of year, but that doesn’t mean I turn down a glass of ice wine or the perfect winter cocktail.
This winter white hot chocolate (also known as the “rosy cheek”) is my favorite cocktail around the holidays. Some nights, I will skip the alcohol altogether and cuddle up on the couch with a warm cup of this white hot chocolate. It’s so good you guys. It’s warm, yet still refreshing and so utterly white chocolatey that you will be begging for more. It’s also a great drink to make if you are entertaining a lot of guests. You can make a big batch at once, and put the alcohol in at the end, in case you have a few guests you prefer the non-alcoholic version.
Some of my favorite liquors to use in this drink are as follows:
Orange-flavored vodka (yes it works…I promise)
I hope you guys enjoy this winter white hot chocolate recipe. It’s one of my favorites! Have a happy Wednesday! xo
P.S. Some of the white chocolate may settle at the top as it cools. This is OK. Just give it a good stir and warm it back up if need be.
Rosy Cheek (Spiked Winter White Hot Chocolate)Print Pin Rate
- 1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar brown sugar may be substituted if desired
- 3 1/3 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces good-quality white chocolate finely chopped
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 6 ounces white rum or vanilla vodka optional
- Optional Garnishes: cinnamon sticks cranberries, raspberries, pinch of cracked pink peppercorns
- To a food processor, add the macadamia nuts and granulated sugar. Pulse until finely ground. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add the milk and nut mixture. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and then reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in the white chocolate and salt and cook, stirring until chocolate is completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Divide the mixture evenly among glasses and then spike with white rum or vanilla vodka if desired.
- Enjoy with your favorite holiday cookies!