Paired with a Pilsner
I thought about taking the rest of this week off. I really did, and I still plan to, but I had to share one more recipe with you before Christmas. These skillet potatoes with creamy pilsner, mushroom sauce are what dream are made of, and I couldn’t go another day without sharing the recipe with you.
I had it all planned out. I made these skillet potatoes with the perfect leg of lamb this past Sunday, and when I tell you this lamb was perfect, it was. You just wait. Seriously, you will have to wait. That recipe won’t go live for another couple of weeks. I originally planned on sharing this recipe after the New Year, and we all see how well that worked out. I could not (would not) hold off on the skillet potatoes. I had to get the recipe to you guys ASAP!
This recipe is just perfect you guys. It’s the perfect side dish to serve alongside that perfectly pink prime rib or that super tender pineapple glazed ham. They are creamy, extremely savory, and have the perfect essence of beer. They compliment the simplest or craziest of main courses, and I would not think twice about doubling the recipe to maximize the leftovers to their fullest potential.
It’s not too late! Add these skillet potatoes to your menus this week. Crack open a pilsner to drink along with it, and enjoy! I will be back Saturday with a brand new post, so in the meantime have a wonderful week! xoxo
Skillet Potatoes with Creamy Pilsner, Mushroom SaucePrint Pin Rate
- 1 1/2 pounds baby yellow potatoes cut in half if they are too large
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces porcini mushrooms sliced
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 6 ounces Pilsner beer a brown ale may be substituted
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- To a large pot, add the potatoes. Fill with just enough water so that it covers the potatoes completely. Salt the water and place on the stove over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook the potatoes for about 10 minutes or until just fork tender. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- While your potatoes are boiling, prepare your creamy pilsner, mushroom sauce. In a large cast iron pan, add the olive oil. Preheat over medium, and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are tender, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute, or until fragrant. Add the pilsner beer, and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the beer has reduced by about half. Add the green onions, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper and a dash of salt and black pepper. Add the chicken broth and heavy cream. Bring to a heavy simmer and then reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 10 additional minutes, or until the sauce has reduced.
- Remove from heat and stir in the potatoes. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!