Tropical Crispy Chicken Summer Rolls are a bright and cheerful spring or summer recipe that’s absolutely popping with flavor and texture.
There is one thing I go crazy for over the warmer months, and that is the summer roll. ANYTIME I see them on a menu, I order them and it has been a long time since I’ve been to a restaurant that had a good summer roll. Maybe it’s the crunch. Maybe it’s the flavor. I don’t know. I do know that they are such a healthy and delicious treat that you can get super get super creative with.
I think that’s why I adore summer rolls so much. You can get as creative as you want with them, and while these tropical crispy chicken summer rolls may not be the most traditional of summer rolls, they are still so packed full of delicious flavor. Normally, summer rolls are completely raw. You wouldn’t THINK of putting crispy chicken in them, but there is just something I love about the combination of crispy chicken, avocado and mango.
I’m not going to lie, making summer rolls can be a daunting process, but once you start you won’t want to stop. I promise. It’s almost a therapeutic activity. You can be rolling and rolling and then 25 minutes later, your done without even knowing it. I think the most important thing about making summer rolls, is having the prep done to the “T.” You want the veggies all to be the same size. You want all of the carrot slices to match, and you want consistency in the shredding of your cabbage.
Remember these tips as you make these tropical crispy chicken summer rolls! Pair them with a farmhouse ale and enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast sliced in half lengthwise
- salt and black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large beaten egg
- 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder more to taste
- 2 large carrots sliced into 2 inch x 1/8 inch strips
- 2 large mangos pitted and peeled, sliced into 2 inch x 1/8 inch strips
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup cooked rice noodles follow the instructions on the packaging for "cold salads"
- 1 large avocado peeled and pitted, sliced thin
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves plus extra for garnish
- 16-20 rice wrappers
- For serving: your favorite peanut dressing or sauce fresh cilantro leaves
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper. In one shallow bowl, add the flour. In a second shallow bowl, add the egg. In a third shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, curry powder and a dash of salt and black pepper. Taking the two halves of the chicken, dredge each one in the flour, then the egg, and then the bread crumbs.
- Preheat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, and cook it until very brown on both sides, and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer it to a plate that has been lined with a paper towel. Once cool enough to handle, slice it into long slices and transfer it to the refrigerator to chill. I would prepare the chicken about 1 hour in advance of making the summer rolls.
- On a large work surface, lay out your summer roll fillings...the sliced chicken, carrots, mango, red cabbage, rice noodles, avocado and cilantro leaves. Fill a large shallow bowl with warm water. Starting with one rice wrapper, gently dip it into the warm water. This will soften it up and make it easy to handle. Once it is paper thin and soft, very gently lay it out on your work surface. This may take some practice. You may break a few, and this is OK. On the lower third of the rice wrapper, take a couple of carrot sticks, 1 slice of chicken, a slice of mango, a couple of teaspoons of red cabbage, a teeny amount of rice noodles and a slice of avocado. Roll the summer roll up by rolling it away from you and folding in the sides as you go. Continue to roll until sealed and then place it on your serving platter. Don't get discouraged as you do this. You will find a groove and once you do, stick to it. Add and subtract ingredients as needed. Repeat this step for the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover the platter and refrigerate until you are ready to use or enjoy immediately with your favorite peanut sauce and fresh cilantro! Enjoy!