No Beer Pairing Today
It should come as no surprise that I am basically obsessed with doughnuts. What’s not to love about little balls of fried dough that have been rolled in sugar, dipped in chocolate, or filled with pastry cream and jam. WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?!
To make them, doughnuts have always been kind of finicky for me. I’ve made my fair share of them, but it didn’t come without a little bit of practice and a TON of trial and error. They still don’t always come out perfectly round or perfectly plump, but one thing is for certain, they always come out super delicious.
After a lot of practice, I realized a couple of things. Cake flour works best. All-purpose flour will do, but they won’t end up as light and fluffy. It’s not that they taste bad, but they tend to be a little bit stiffer. I think that just comes down to personal preference, so you can decide what you like to work with best. I have even found that a mixture of all-purpose flour and cake flour works well also. Another thing I learned was that the second rise isn’t totally necessary. You can most certainly go straight into the frying process, but it does help keep them just a little more airy if you do the second rise, which I prefer in a doughnut.
What sets these jelly doughnuts apart from the rest is its subtle almond flavor. For the liquid portion of this recipe, Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Original Almond Milk is used instead of the more traditional whole milk. Almond extract gives it some extra punch. The almond extract combined with super tart and sweet raspberry jam really takes these doughnuts to a whole new level of flavor!
Give these almond raspberry jelly doughnuts a chance and make them at your next brunch get together! Your guests will thank you a million times over!
Almond Raspberry Jelly Doughnuts
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar plus extra for rolling
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Original AlmondMilk
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon fine kosher salt
- vegetable or canola oil for frying
- raspberry seedless jam jam of your choice or vanilla cream may be substituted
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the sugar, yeast and Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Original AlmondMilk in a small bowl. Stir gently and let stand for about 8 minutes, or until it is extremely foamy.
- While the yeast is foaming, add the cake flour to the bowl of your stand mixer. Create a well in the center. Add the egg yolks, almond extract, butter, salt, remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar, and yeast mixture. Fold the ingredients together with a wooden spoon until just combined. Attach the bowl to the stand mixer and attach the dough hook. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes or until a ball forms, it is smooth and just slightly stretchy. Transfer the dough to a well-oiled bowl and cover with a slightly damp tea towel. Place it in a warm place and let it rise for about 2 hours, or until it has double in size.
- Once the dough has risen, dump the dough onto a floured surface. Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Taking a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 12-14 doughnuts (or as many as the dough will allow). Cover with a tea towel and let sit for another 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the oil to a large pot. Pour it so there is at least 3 inches of depth. Heat the oil to 360-370 degrees F. Have a shallow bowl of granulated sugar ready for rolling. Line a large plate or baking sheet with paper towels. Using a wire spoon gently place 1-2 of the doughnuts into the hot oil. Let them fry for about 30 seconds and then flip them and fry for an additional 30 seconds. Transfer them to the paper towel-lined plate, and continue with the remaining dough. While each batch is frying, roll the previous batch in sugar and place them back on the baking sheet.
- If you wish to fill your doughnuts, fill a pastry bag fitted with a #3 or #4 piping tip with jam or cream of your choice. The easiest way to fill your doughnuts is to gently pierce each side of each doughnut with a toothpick and then fill with the jam or cream. Fill all of your doughnuts with desired amount.
- Enjoy the almond raspberry jelly doughnuts immediately for best results.
This post includes affiliate links.