Soft-boiled chunky egg salad with lavender mustard is a fun and elegant twist on traditional egg salad using a mustard mayonnaise and a hint of lavender!
I never thought in a million years that my garden would do as well as it would do. It was almost too much, and I can’t believe I’m saying that. I have far too much produce, and am definitely going to have to end up giving a lot of it away! Besides my humongous zucchini and squash, my perfectly plump tomatoes, vibrant baby carrots, and the most adorable brussels sprouts doing so well, my lettuce and arugula went out of control.
If any of you know the ins and outs of gardening, lettuce and other greens can usually be planted twice a year in the right climate. They grow quickly and with little maintenance. Our arugula peaked VERY early and I had A TON of it. Let’s be honest, regular green salads get boring after a while. I started coming up with new ways to incorporate it into my favorite dishes. This is when I decided to whip up this soft-boiled chunky egg salad!
Soft-Boiled Chunky Egg Salad with Lavender Mustard
Egg salad is one of my favorite types of salad. I make it weekly, and am always trying to come up with new and exciting ways to serve it. Most of the time, I stick to the traditional egg salad recipe. I will serve it on top of greens, rustic bread, or in wraps. It wasn’t until a couple of years ago that I started modifying the egg salad itself. This chunky egg salad is my latest obsession, and it quickly became an obsession after my other obsession with soft-boiled eggs. This egg salad is so fresh, so delicious, and so fulfilling. It’s the perfect recipe to serve any meal of the day!
If you are feeling spunky, serve this chunky egg salad with a pilsner. You’ll need a lighter beer for such a light dish. Have a wonderful weekend friends! xoxo
Soft-Boiled Chunky Egg Salad with Lavender MustardPrint Pin Rate
- 12 room temperature eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon dry lavender
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- fresh greens and herbs
- toasted bread
- dried lavender
- cracked black pepper
- flaky sea salt
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat to a heavy simmer, and carefully add the eggs. Boil the eggs for 9-15 minutes depending on altitude (9 minutes at sea level, 15 minutes above 5000 feet). Have an ice bath ready (ice and cold water nestled in a large bowl). When the eggs are finished boiling, transfer the to the ice bath. Let stand for about 3 minutes and then drain. Pat dry, peel, and quarter the eggs. Place the pieces in a large bowl.
- To prepare the lavender mustard, add the dry lavender to the bowl of your food processor. Pulse 8-10 times or until the lavender is mostly powder. Add it to a small bowl, and fold in the mustard and mustard seeds. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the mustard, and cover the rest. Place in the refrigerator to use at a later time.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of mustard to a small bowl with the mayonnaise. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Add the mayonnaise to the bowl with the eggs. Very gently toss the eggs with the mustard, trying not to break up the eggs.
- Cover and refrigerate the egg salad until you are ready to use.
- To serve, layer the egg salad on toasted bread. Top with a small salad made up of greens and herbs. Sprinkle the salad with dried lavender, cracked black pepper, and flaky sea salt.