Roasted garlic mashed sweet potatoes and carrots is the perfect side dish to serve this fall. It has a slight sweetness that is counteracted by garlic, and is so creamy and delicious that you will be begging for seconds and thirds!
Roasted Garlic Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Carrots
When it comes to sweet potatoes, I love brown ales. Brown ales have a certain warmth about them. They can be super inviting without being too extreme in flavor, like the flavor you might get from a stout or a porter. They have the capability of adding so much flavor to sweet potato dishes without taking away from the general amazingness of them.
Because these mashed sweet potatoes and carrots just scream “fall,” I want to keep with that theme. A few of the main dishes I love with this side dish, is this delicious brown sugar beer glazed ham and this amazing pork tenderloin wellington. Both are the perfect main dishes to serve this fall. When it comes to a second side dish item to serve with these sweet potatoes, I love something on the lighter side, something green. A good salad is perfect, and this caramelized orange and fig salad is even better!
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 1 pound carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 pound sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Slice the top off of the head of garlic so that the cloves are exposed but the head is still intact. Place the garlic in the mold of a standard muffin tin. Drizzle the garlic with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Cover with foil and place the pan in the oven. Roast the garlic for 40-45 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant and soft. Remove the garlic from heat and allow it to cool until it's cool enough to handle. Pressing the bottom of the garlic head, release the garlic from the head. Place the garlic in the bowl of your stand mixer.
- While your garlic is roasting, prepare your carrots and sweet potatoes. Add the carrots and sweet potatoes to a large pot. Cover the veggies with just enough water so that it covers them. Season with salt. Place the pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil the veggies until they are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, and transfer the veggies to the stand mixer with the garlic.
- Also to the bowl, add the sour cream, butter and milk. Mix until the mixture is mashed to your liking. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Enjoy the mashed sweet potatoes and carrots immediately or cover until you are ready to serve!