Can you believe that we are already talking about spring and Easter? I certainly can’t. While I don’t officially celebrate Easter, I do appreciate fresh spring foods like this steamed asparagus. I have a love-hate relationship with asparagus. I normally gravitate towards greens beans this time of year, but once in awhile I make an exception. I will especially make an exception when I have the chance to douse it in something creamy and delicious.
So “béarnaise sauce” is definitely a scary term, but in all honesty I find it the easiest of all of the traditional sauces to make. This version is made with ghee instead of traditional butter, but butter can definitely be substituted back in if you wish. It is also made in the microwave, which isn’t the most traditional way to make it, but I find this method to be foolproof.
If you are looking for a way to up your Easter game this year, add this side dish to your menu. It’s a way to add some elegance to the table!
Beer Here I go again. I am once again pairing with a farmhouse ale. I’m sorry, you guys, but I just can’t help it. I have been obsessed with them lately, and I love them with fresh vegetables. While a farmhouse ale can get a little sour, it is on the lighter side and pairs really well with fresh seasonal produce. It highlights that freshness without taking away from the overall flavor of the dish. This pairing is just perfect you guys, and I think you will agree once you try it!
Steamed Asparagus with Ghee Béarnaise Sauce
Steamed Asparagus with Ghee Béarnaise SaucePrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1 tsp finely minced onion
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 fresh egg yolks beaten
- 2 tbsp half and half
- zest from one lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh tarragon chopped
- 1 tsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper
- 1/8 tsp dry mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed
- shaved parmesan cheese
- Add the ghee to a medium bowl and melt in the microwave at 20 second intervals until completely melted.
- Add the onion and white wine vinegar. Whisk. Next, add the eggs very slowly and whisking vigorously to keep the eggs from scrambling. Next, whisk in the half and half, lemon zest, lemon juice, fresh tarragon, fresh parsley, salt, pepper, dry mustard, and cayenne pepper. Set the heat power setting on your microwave down to 50%, and microwave the mixture in 15 second intervals, whisking after each interval, until the sauce has slightly thickened. Cover the sauce with plastic wrap and place the sauce in the fridge for at least an hour. It will continue to thicken as it chills.
- Meanwhile, prepare your asparagus. Add a couple tablespoons of water to a shallow pan and bring to a simmer. Add the asparagus and cover. Reduce the heat to medium low and steam the asparagus for about 2 minutes or until bright green. Alternatively, you may use a steamer pot and basket.
- Top the asparagus with the ghee béarnaise sauce and sprinkle with shaved parmesan cheese. Serve immediately and enjoy!