With only seven main ingredients, these sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish or main course!
My first inclination when pairing beer with sweet potatoes is to go sweet. Maybe this is because of the out-of-control sweet tooth I have lately, but something about a sweeter ale with sweet potatoes just sounds like a match made in heaven. However, I am not going to go that route, because I’m willing to bet that most of you who will be drinking beer with this dish is not 6 months pregnant. My second inclination is to pair these sweet potatoes with a brown ale. I would definitely go with something on the maltier side over a hoppy brew, and a traditional brown ale has just enough maltiness to enhance the flavor. Brown ales also tend not to be super heavy which is also key. Other great options for this recipe might be an amber ale or something very light like a pilsner or blonde ale. Hey, just try them all and let me know what you think!
PSA: Don’t worry. I am not drinking beer during this pregnancy. :) My tried and true taste tester, Zach, has been willing to step up to the challenge.
Chorizo-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Herbed Sour Cream
It’s hit or miss for me when it comes to sweet potatoes. I definitely didn’t jump on the bandwagon when everyone was going crazy over them. Of course, I have always loved them the super unhealthy ways: baked and then doused in butter and sour cream or mashed and sprinkled with brown sugar and marshmallows. There will always be a time and a place for super sweet candied sweet potatoes. Once I started stuffing them with all of my favorite ingredients, my opinion started to change. These sweet potatoes are just one of those stuffed sweet potato recipes that I adore. The chorizo adds a special spicy kick. The corn gives a subtle sweetness, and the kale just adds a touch of earthiness that really compliments the earthiness from this recipe. The shredded cheese…well, just because…and the sour cream is that saucy element that this recipe craves. It’s a winner all by itself or as an accompaniment to a ribeye or grilled chicken breast.
Are you looking for more great sweet potato recipes on Cooking and Beer? Well, we have a ton of them! Check out some of my favorite recipes!
Chorizo-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Herbed Sour CreamPrint Pin Rate
- 2 large sweet potatoes scrubbed clean
- 1/2 lb chorizo sausage
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen or canned is fine for this recipe
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese of choice I used mozzarella
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp chopped herbs I used a blend of thyme, parsley, and oregano
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with foil. Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet and poke with a fork. Bake the sweet potatoes for 45 min to 1 hour or until tender.
- Meanwhile, add the chorizo to a nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Cook until the chorizo is golden, about 15 minutes. Add the kale and reduce the temperature to medium-low. Cook, stirring frequently, until the kale has wilted sufficiently, about 5 minutes. Add the corn and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Make the herbed sour cream by combining the sour cream, herbs, and a dash of salt and pepper. Thin out a bit with some milk if you would like a thinner consistency.
- Cut the sweet potatoes down the middle once cool enough to handle, but don't cut the entire way through. Sprinkle the cheese on top and then add the chorizo and kale mixture. Dollop sour cream on top and enjoy!
Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram, and be sure to tag us if you make/made this dish!