These summer chicken burgers are the ultimate summer dinner recipe!
Summer Chicken Burgers
These summer chicken burgers are the perfect summer dinner recipe. While chicken is the main ingredient, the spices and seasonings are the stars. Chicken needs to be elevated. There is no doubt about that. The perfect blend of sweet, salty, and spicy makes these burgers pop. A garlicky sauce and a crunchy mango slaw bring the perfect balance of texture and flavor. These burgers are a great dinner recipe, but they are equally great for weekend meal prep. Use a bun, lettuce wrap, or chop it up and put it on top of a salad. It’s a great way to spice up everyday chicken!
Could I use another protein?
Chicken is just the base of this dish. You may certainly use another protein. Ground turkey works really well, and surprisingly enough, black beans work REALLY well if you are looking for a vegetarian option. Salmon is also a really great option for all my pescatarians out there. While all of these would be great alternatives, I would leave out the beef on this one. Beef is such a strong flavor, and you would lose a lot of the spice.
Summer Chicken Burgers
Can I use another vessel?
These chicken burgers work really well in lettuce wraps, so you can definitely change things up if you want!
How spicy is this dish?
As far as spice is concerned, this dish is not too bad honestly! From sour cream and mayo to cinnamon and brown sugar, there are so many other flavors and textures going on that you don’t get too caught up in the heat. With that being said, you can totally tone down the level of spice by decreasing the amount of cayenne and hot sauce if you wish!
Thoughts on grilling these burgers?
Yes, yes, yes! You can definitely grill these burgers! There are so many ways to prepare these burgers. When it’s feasible, I would definitely throw these on the grill.
Are you looking for more great burger recipes on Cooking and Beer? Well, we have a ton of them! Check out some of my favorite burger recipes!
Spicy Garlic Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 cups chopped or shredded red cabbage
- 3 whole peaches, sliced sub 1.5 cups frozen peaches if desired, sliced into thin strips
- 1 jalapeño finely diced, seeds removed for less heat
- juice from 3 limes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and black pepper
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 brioche buns lightly toasted
- fresh lettuce optional
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayo, hot sauce, garlic powder, and chopped parsley until combined. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine the red cabbage, peaches, jalapeno, lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, and salt and black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine the chicken, bread crumbs, egg, brown sugar, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, allspice, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Mix together with a large spoon or your hands until the mixture comes together. Form the mixture into 4 equal-sized patties. Place on a plate and stick in the fridge while you heat up your oil.
- In a large skillet (working in batches if needed), heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken patties, and cook for approximately 10 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove from heat and let cool for just a minute
- Assemble your burgers by layering sauce, lettuce, burger, and slaw (in that order). Enjoy immediately!
Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram, and be sure to tag us if you make this dish!