These croissant french toast cups are the perfect combination of sweet and savory!
Croissant French Toast Cups
With Easter and Mother’s Day around the corner, I really have breakfast and brunch recipes on the brain today. These croissant french toast cups needed to make it in the rotation. These delicious little cups are lined with a piece of savory deli ham and then piled high with a super addicting french toast mixture where buttery croissants are the store. 40 minutes and a handful of ingredients, most of which I’m sure you can find in your pantry, and you have these perfect little cups.
What will I need to make these croissant french toast cups (see recipe below for entire ingredient list)?
6 slices black forest deli ham
2 large eggs
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 cups torn croissant pieces from about 2-3 medium-sized croissants
1 tbsp coarse sugar or turbinado sugar
serve with: berries, whipped cream, maple syrup
My cups came out super runny with the egg mixture? What happened?
This is a super common mistake. When you are spooning your french toast mixture into your prepared cups, be sure to use a slotted spoon, and really try to get rid of any excess liquid. If you don’t, you may end up with a little egg with your french toast. If you do run into this issue, I would just bake these off a little bit longer so that egg mixture cooks through completely.
Croissant French Toast Cups
How long should I allow the french toast mixture to rest?
I think that 15-20 minutes is plenty of time to allow the croissants to soak up the egg, but you can certainly let it soak for longer in the fridge. I would say to not push it much past an hour or you might find that your croissants really start to fall apart.
What do you recommend serving these cups with?
I love to serve these cups with fresh berries, whipped cream, and some maple syrup, but you do you! Bananas would be a great addition, and I lot the idea of a side of bacon.
Are you looking for more great breakfast and brunch recipes on Cooking and Beer? Well, we have a ton of them! Check out some of my favorite breakfast recipes!
- 6 slices black forest deli ham patted dry
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 cups torn croissant pieces from about 2-3 medium-sized croissants
- 1 tbsp coarse sugar or turbinado sugar
- serve with: berries, whipped cream, maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, and spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray. You will only be using 6 of the muffin molds.
- Place a slice of ham into each cup, pressing to fit along the shape of the muffin tin mold.
- Whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and ground cinnamon in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Add the torn pieces of croissant to the bowl. Stir until evenly coats. Let the croissants soak up the wet mixture for about 15-20 minutes.
- Evenly spoon the ham cups with the croissant mixture. Use a slotted spoon for this step so that you don't spoon any unnecessary excess egg mixture. Sprinkle the coarse sugar on top.
- Bake the cups for about 15-20 minutes or until brown and crispy. Serve immediately with fresh berries, whipped cream, maple syrup, or whatever your heart desires!
Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram, and be sure to tag us if you make this dish!