Caprese orzo pasta salad is a great addition to your next summer picnic or BBQ!
Caprese Orzo Pasta Salad
Caprese mixed with pasta salad: I think this is the epitome of food combinations. Both recipes just scream summer. Is there anymore to love than bursting tomatoes, silky mozzarella cheese, and herby basil during the summer time. Mix it with your favorite pasta shape (mine just happens to be orzo) and you really do have a match made in heaven. This Caprese orzo pasta salad is seriously bursting with intense summer flavor. It’s ready in under 30 minutes, and it is the perfect addition to any potluck. Get all the details below!
What will I need to make this Caprese orzo pasta salad (see recipe below for entire ingredient list)?
1 lb dry orzo pasta
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
zest and juice of one lemon
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
Cup fresh basil
1 tbsp fresh oregano
1 pint cherry tomatoes
8 oz marinated small mozzarella balls
8 slices prosciutto
Can I use another pasta shape?
Absolutely! I would suggest sticking with a small pasta though. Orzo is a pretty teeny tiny. I also love ditalini for this recipe. Bowties and fusilli also work really well!
Caprese Orzo Pasta Salad
How long will this pasta salad stay fresh?
I really think this pasta salad is best served day of or the following day. With that being said, it stays pretty fresh for about three days. If you are serving to guests though, I would suggest making it at least one day in advance.
If I can’t find small mozzarella balls, do you have another suggestion?
Torn mozzarella works perfectly for this recipe. If you can only find a ball, that is totally fine. Just try to avoid blocks of mozzarella (the kind you find near the blocks of cheddar and Monterey jack). Fresh is best when it comes to this recipe.
Are you looking for more great salad recipes on Cooking and Beer? Well, we have a ton of them! Check out some of my favorite salad recipes!
- 1 lb dry orzo pasta
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped finely
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 8 oz marinated small mozzarella balls
- 8 slices prosciutto
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook until al-dente, about 6-8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While the orzo is cooking, whisk the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, honey, crushed red pepper, fresh basil, fresh oregano. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Add the orzo whil it is still warm. Set aside to cool for a few minutes while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and the mozzarella balls. Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- Enjoy immediately or cover and chill until ready to serve. The pasta sald will keep in the fridge for about 3 days.
Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram, and be sure to tag us if you make this dish!