Cauliflower and Celery Root Soup with Roasted Garlic
Cauliflower and Celery Root Soup with Roasted Garlic is the ultimate vegetarian comfort food!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr 15 mins
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
- 1 head of garlic top cut off exposing the garlic cloves but bulb left in tact
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 2 medium-sized yellow onion diced
- 2 medium-sized celery root diced
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into florets
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth substitute vegetable broth for a vegetarian version
- 1 cup water
- salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- cubes of toasted ciabatta and chives for garnish
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Place your head of garlic into a mold of a regular muffin tin, exposed cloves side up. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Cover with foil and roast for 45-50 minutes or until fragrant, brown and soft. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. While your garlic is roasting, prepare your soup.
In a large dutch oven, heat the 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and celery root. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until the onions are tender. Add the cauliflower, chicken broth, water and 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 45 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
Now go back to your garlic. Release the cloves from the bulb.
Working in batches, transfer the soup to a blender and add the roasted garlic cloves. Do not fill the entire way to reduce mess. Blend in batches, for about a minute each until completely smooth. Transfer the now pureed soup back to the dutch oven and stir in the heavy cream. Cook for an additional 5 minutes seasoning with salt and pepper where needed.
Serve the soup warm with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, chopped chives and ciabatta croutons.