Loaded Tex-Mex Nachos with Sweet Potato Chips are the best nachos I’ve ever had! Can I leave it at that today and call it a day?! I’m totally kidding, but in all seriousness, I think I may have outdone myself on this one. This recipe is the ultimate game day snack, and with our obsession with football this year really getting out of control, I have been on an endless journey to find the best recipes for game day. Once in a while, we will resort to wings. Actually no, we almost ALWAYS resort to wings, and although I just ADORE a buffalo chicken wing, I wanted to spice it up this weekend. These nachos are just what we needed, and they were incredible.
So, about this obsession with football. We have always been pretty diehard. Zach, more with the college stuff; I, more with the professional stuff. This year, we came together, and you want to know what brought us closer together? Fantasy football…that’s what. I have been playing for years, usually in 2+ leagues a season. It’s an addiction and it’s a blast, so I honestly don’t care…but this was Zach’s first year. I’ve tried and tried in years past to get him to play and he has always said no. He didn’t think it would be something he would enjoy. Well this year, I forced him into it and now he is OBSESSED! He seriously plays around with his team everyday, trying to strategize a way to win. Believe it or not, he is in first place!
To make a long story incredibly short, he can’t wait for Saturdays and Sundays (and Mondays and Thursdays), so that means more snacks to prepare. These loaded tex-mex nachos have made it to the ongoing list, and you will want them on your list too.
The recipe is pretty easy/self-explanatory, but if you would like for me to break it down for you just a bit, than here ya go: Sweet potatoes are sliced and baked to perfection in the oven. The sweet potato chips are then tossed with blue corn tortilla chips and then topped with layer upon layer of goodness: shredded chicken, bacon, tomato, black beans, corn, cilantro, cheese, cheese and more cheese. The nachos are then drizzled with the most amazing avocado cream sauce. These will be gone in seconds, guys.
Recipe is below, but be sure to check out the beer pairings first!
- 2 large sweet potatoes rinsed and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 cups blue corn tortilla chips
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese or other melty cheese of your choice
- 1 cup fully-cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, shredded
- 3/4 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels warmed through
- 1 large tomato seeds removed and diced
- 1 large jalapeno sliced
- 4 strips of bacon fully cooked and chopped
- 2 ounces cotija cheese crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 large avocado pitted and diced
Avocado Cream Sauce
- 2 large avocados pitted and diced
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line two large baking sheets with foil. Place two wire racks on top of the baking sheets. Spray with a non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes, olive oil and sea salt until the potatoes are fully coated. Place the potatoes on the prepared baking sheets, leaving a little room in between each one.
- Bake the chips at 425 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until they begin to curl along the edges. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for 15-20 minutes. Leave the oven on.
- Prepare your avocado cream sauce, but placing all of the ingredients into a blender. Blend on high until smooth. Set aside.
- Assemble your nachos, by lining a large baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Layer the blue corn tortilla chips on the bottom and sprinkle 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese on top. On top of the cheese, layer your sweet potato chips. On top of that, layer the chicken breast, black beans, corn kernels, tomato, jalapeno and bacon in any order that you wish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat and sprinkle cotija cheese, fresh cilantro and diced avocado on top. Serve immediately, drizzled with the avocado cream sauce.
Sweet Potato Chip Recipe adapted from Cooking for Keeps