If you haven’t noticed, we take breakfast pretty seriously around here. I mean there’s this and this … and this. Oh, and there’s this too. I’m totally not kidding you. I think I’ve had eggs about 5 times this week, and no they have not all been during breakfast time. I love homemade granola. It’s actually quite insane how easy it is to make, and let’s be honest, to buy a good granola at the grocery store basically breaks the bank. I ALWAYS make it myself. This coconut almond granola with dark chocolate chunks is the perfect recipe to add to the old recipe box. Chunky, coconuty, almondy and with a subtle chocolatey-ness, this granola is perfect anytime of day!
Oh, hey guys! I have a step-by-step recipe for you today! I know, I surprise even myself sometimes. Well, it’s kind of a step-by-step photo sequence. I know I missed a few here and there. I’ll get there. I also won’t admit to myself that it was the easiest recipe to take step-by-step photos. Baby steps, guys. Baby steps.
Ok, let’s get started!
To a large bowl, combine your oats, coconut, almonds and salt. Give it a good stir.
In a small saucepan, you’ll melt down coconut oil and then stir in almond butter and honey until melty, gooey and smooth. Pour that delicious mixture over the dry ingredients.
Stir, stir, stir until completely combined and moistened.
Pour the granola onto two large, parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Spread evenly. Bake the granola at 350 degree F for about 20 minutes or until brown. Stir the mixture halfway through the baking time. Be careful, this granola is subject to burn because of the coconut oil. Keep a close eye!
Remove from oven and let cool COMPLETELY in the pans.
Once completely cool, stir in the dark chocolate pieces. I used a good dark chocolate that was infused with almond for no other reason that when I saw it on the shelf at the store, I had to have it. Don’t tell me you wouldn’t have done the same.
… and that’s it! Wasn’t that fun!? ;)
If you’re feeling spunky, pair this granola with an oatmeal stout. If you are feeling even spunkier pair it with a CHOCOLATE oatmeal stout. You will not be sad about this.
Recipe is below! Happy Wednesday! xo
Coconut Almond Granola with Dark Chocolate ChunksPrint Pin Rate
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup almond butter I used salted
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 5 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 cups almonds or almond slices I used salted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt if not using salted almonds or salted almond butter
- 4 ounces at least 65% cacao dark chocolate chunks or chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- To a small saucepan, add the coconut oil. Melt over medium-low heat, and then whisk in the almond butter and honey until melty and smooth. Keep the pan over low heat while you prepare your dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, coconut, almonds and salt until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just moistened.
- Pour the granola onto 2 large baking sheets that have been lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Spread evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until evenly brown, stirring midway through.
- Remove from heat and cool COMPLETELY in the pan. Once completely cool, break up the granola as some of it may have stuck together in large clumps and stir in the dark chocolate chunks or chips.
- Store the granola in an airtight container for about a month. It is best served with Greek yogurt, or my personal favorite Greek frozen yogurt!