Good afternoon friends! I hope you are all having a stellar weekend! It’s been pretty low-key around here. Zach and I are still kind of recovering from this past week. Skiing was a blast, but multiple days in a row of it can take a toll on your body for sure! I was definitely ready for some comfort food when we got back, so this shrimp and sausage skillet pasta bake went straight into the oven. Vodka sauce totally makes this recipe, but the combination of shrimp, sausage and pasta sends it totally over the edge! This recipe is a must-make this week! It’s so simple!
Do you know that feeling you get when your vacation is almost over? That feeling that has you wanting a vacation from your vacation?
Well, I did not have this. I usually do. I’m usually ready to get home, but this time I definitely wasn’t. I mean we were literally only an hour and half from our home, but it still felt like we were worlds away. I don’t know if it was the elevation of 9600 feet, the mountain air, the perfectly groomed trails, the beautiful sunshine or the snowy peaks, but I did not want to come home. It was just so relaxing, and even though we were totally busting our butts during the day, we were relaxing in the evenings.
Maybe this is a sign. Maybe the universe is trying to tell us that we belong up there. I think we should take the universe up on that. Don’t you? Now, we just need to convince Zach. ;)
Although I absolutely did not want to come home, I was craving some home cooked foods. It’s funny because normally I am scrambling around before a vacation trying to get recipes created, written up and scheduled to post. At this point, I don’t want to look at my kitchen for a week. After a week of being away from my kitchen, I did miss it, and the yummy creations that come out of it.
First thing to go in the oven when we got back? Why, this shrimp and sausage skillet pasta bake with vodka sauce of course! I wanted an easy dinner, but I wanted something that was comforting…so comforting that you would have thought it was cooked all day. Nope, this recipe is ready in under an hour, 35 minutes to be exact and it’s so delicious that you will be going back for seconds, thirds and fourths.
The recipe for the simplest dinner you will make this week is below! Pair it with an IPA! Get to it, and enjoy the rest of your weekends! xo
- 1 pound small pasta
- salt and black pepper
- 1 jar your favorite store-bought vodka sauce
- 1 pound loose sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound large shrimp cleaned and deveined
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/2 cup sharp white cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat your broiler to high.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- To a small saucepan, add the vodka sauce. Heat over low heat. Keep warm on the stove until you are ready to use.
- To a large oven-safe skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until brown and cooked through. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Keep the stove on.
- To the skillet, add the shrimp. There should be enough fat left in the skillet from the sausage. If you find that there isn't enough to cook the shrimp, add a tablespoon of olive oil. Season the shrimp generously with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until pink and cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the pan and transfer to another plate. Turn off the heat.
- To a large bowl, combine the vodka sauce, pasta and sausage. Toss until evenly coated. Pour the mixture back into the skillet. Top with shrimp and then top with parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and cheddar cheese.
- Place the skillet into the preheated oven and broil until cheese is melty, about 2 minutes. Keep a close eye as the cheese can quickly go from melted to burnt. Remove from heat and garnish with fresh parsley.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!