Happy Monday everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and are all set for the week ahead! With St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, I thought this would be the best time to share these caraway havarti grits with shrimp and corned beef. I promise it’s not as strange as it seems! In fact, it’s pretty much one of the most delicious things I’ve ever had! Deli-style corned beef is tossed with a spicy shrimp and then piled on top of creamy, buttery grits that have been loaded with caraway havarti cheese. This recipe is pure comfort, and I won’t doubt that you’ll be going back for seconds and thirds!
As we embark on these last few days of winter, I’ve been soaking up all of the comfort food I can. I feel like there are only a couple of weeks left until I have to use my slow cooker and oven less often, and replace these things with a hot grill. Don’t get me wrong, I still utilize my slow cooker in an obsessive fashion, but it’s a little less obsessive once spring and summer rolls around. It’s ok though. It’s fun to swap out the roast beef and mashed potatoes for cold pasta salads and cheeseburgers.
These caraway havarti grits with shrimp and corned beef are just pure comfort in a bowl. The shrimp itself is marinated in a blend of rice wine vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, crushed red pepper, cayenne and chili powder. It is seared to perfection in a hot skillet and then tossed with deli-style corned beef. I could eat this delicious shrimpy mixture with a spoon, if it weren’t for the dazzling creamy grits that they lay on top of!
The caraway havart grits? Well now these are the best part! Corn grits (or polenta) is cooked to perfection in a large saucepan. Into the grits goes perfectly grated Castello Caraway Havarti Cheese that is an insanely perfect addition because St. Patricks Day is right around the corner and the caraway compliments the corned beef sooooo well! A couple of tablespoons of butter and a dash of salt and pepper finish the whole thing off! Now THAT I could eat with a spoon, or a ladle…whatever is handy really…
Recipe for these super yummy caraway havarti grits with shrimp and corned beef is below! Pair them with a Pale Ale and have a wonderful week everyone! xo
Caraway Havarti Grits with Shrimp and Corned BeefPrint Pin Rate
- 6 cup water
- kosher salt
- 2 cups corn grits
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces Castello Caraway Havarti Cheese grated
- sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp cleaned and peeled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 pound deli-style corned beef chopped
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Add the water and salt to a deep saucepan or stock pot. Bring it to a boil, and then add the grits. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook the grits for 25-30 minutes or until creamy and smooth, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste and stir in the butter and cheese. Continue to stir until melted. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, chili powder, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper and a dash of salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into a gallon-sized zip bag and add the shrimp. Close tightly and coat the shrimp evenly with the mixture. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shrimp and sauté until pink and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the corned beef.
- Serve the shrimp and corned beef on a bed of grits. Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy immediately!