In my dreams, heaven looks a little something like Candy Land and Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory got smooshed together under bright and sunny skies with mountains to the east and the ocean to the west (and no I’m not talking about California – just maybe some version of that). Everything is made out of candy and cookies and cakes, and the whole thing is just heavenly. When I picture a place like this, I picture roads made out of chocolate bars and clouds made out of marshmallow. More than anything else though, I picture an abundance of meringue cookies. I mean they are quite literally little pillows of deliciousness that can be easily molded into clouds or flowers or trees. If I had to build a world of sweets, meringue would be everywhere.
That would be the perfect life wouldn’t it? I would totally need a potato chip plant or something though. Have to throw that salt in there somewhere!
Now, to prove I’m totally not having an acid trip, let’s talk some sense for a second.
I think meringue cookies, or really anything made from meringue sounds scarier than it is. It is all about getting the right consistency. Other than that, they are seriously a cinch. Since most of you know that I basically suck at baking most things, the fact that I’m baking up meringue after meringue proves that just about anyone can do it.
These little sweet puffs aren’t anything special. I’ve never posted a recipe for meringue cookies before, so I thought I’d start on the easy side. I didn’t pipe anything through a fancy shmancy tip. I didn’t create hearts or bowls or fun striped designs. For this first meringue recipe, I’m leaving it to the good old dollop; and I literally used a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop. Let’s make our lives easier shall we? We’ll get into the fancy stuff later on. It all tastes the same in the end.
What makes these meringue cookies so special is the combination of brown sugar and raspberries. The bursting fruitiness and tartness from the raspberries really makes these little cuties pop with flavor. Also, I absolutely adore the golden color the brown sugar creates. I think that’s my favorite part. ;)
I hope I didn’t scare you away today. If you are as obsessed with meringue like I am, you have to try this recipe! Pair these meringue cookies with a porter and have a FABULOUS day! xo
- 4 large fresh room temperature egg whites
- 1/4 cup superfine/caster sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries unthawed
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F and line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Add the egg whites to the bowl of your stand mixer, with whisk attachment fixed. Whisk the eggs on medium-high speed just until peaks form, about 3-4 minutes. Taking the caster sugar, add about a teaspoon at a time, fully mixing on medium-high speed, after each addition. Next take your brown sugar, and with the mixer set on low, whisk in the brown sugar. When fully incorporated, increase the speed yet again to medium-high for about 25 seconds. Very gently fold in the frozen raspberries so that they do not break apart and bleed through.
- Dollop the meringue about 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets in heaping tablespoons. You may also pipe them if you have the patience and time.
- Bake the meringue cookies for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until they are firm. Turn off the oven, but leave the meringue cookies inside. Let cool completely in the oven.
- Serve the meringue cookies immediately, or cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.