Roasted Beets and Beet Greens with Goat Cheese Crostini is the perfect appetizer, lunch or dinner salad! Golden and red beets are roasted to perfection and then tossed in orange juice.
They sit upon a bed of sautéed beet greens that have been tossed with onion, garlic and red wine vinegar. Crostini that has been spread with goat cheese is the perfect compliment to the perfect salad!
I feel very strongly about using all parts of plants and animals, and I’m dedicating this post to my love for beets by taking full advantage of meatless Monday being yesterday! I feel like beet greens don’t get nearly enough love. I feel the same way about most root greens. Albeit, they can be bitter, but they can be super tasty when you prepare them the right away, and these greens…well they are super tasty and are the ideal counterpart for those super sweet beets!
This recipe is definitely a tribute to all things beet-related. I’ve been insanely obsessed with this salad and have made it multiple times in the past few weeks. I love the balance of flavors. It has all kinds of sweetness from the beets, plus a teensy amount of acidity from the orange juice. The greens are slightly bitter, but tender and delicious. The goat cheese crostini is just the ingredient needed to balance out the whole meal.
I love this recipe for a quick dinner salad (throw some chicken on top), or double the serving size and make it the perfect side dish for your next dinner party!
I’m going to keep things short and sweet today, but I hope guys have had a wonderful start to your week. Add these roasted beet with beet greens to your weekly menu plan and pair them with an IPA! xo
- 4 golden beets with greens attached
- 4 red beets with greens attached
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 slices sourdough bread toasted
- 3 ounces goat cheese I used a garlic and herb blend
- micro greens cracked black pepper and chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with foil. Spray it with a non-stick spray.
- Cut the greens off of the beetroots, and peel the beetroots with a vegetable peeler. Set the greens aside, and cut the beetroot into 1 inch pieces. Place the beets on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Roast the beets for 40-45 minutes or until fork tender.
- While the beets are roasting, prepare the greens. Cut the stems off and loosely chop the greens. Set aside. To a large saute pan, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook until tender and fragrant. Add the greens and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-6 minutes then remove from heat. Toss with the red wine vinegar and transfer the greens to a serving platter. Set aside.
- Once the beets have roasted, transfer them to a boil and toss them with the orange juice. Layer the beets on top of the greens.
- Spread the goat cheese on each slice of sour dough bread. Place them along side the beets and beet greens. Sprinkle with micro greens, cracked black pepper and chopped parsley.
- Enjoy immediately!