Paired with a Pilsner or Summer Wheat Ale
Have I ever mentioned how utterly obsessed I am with chili powder? If you haven’t noticed, I literally put it on EVERYTHING. In my morning omelets, mixed in ground beef for the ultimate burger patty, and sprinkled on top of crisp and summer(y) salads like this chilled apple slaw. And I like all kinds of chili powders. Leave me alone in a spice shop, and I could spend a hefty load of money. I’m not complaining though. They add so much flavor.
Believe it or not, the inspiration behind this dish was chipotle chili powder. I know. It sounds so strange, but trust me it totally works. I wanted to post a slaw recipe that I can stand behind. I am so hit or miss when it come to your everyday coleslaw. They are ALWAYS too saucy. The poor cabbage tends to drown in the stuff. Oh and then there IS the cabbage. Another ingredient I’m hit or miss on. It has to be crisp you guys. None of this soggy stuff.
I swear I’m not a coleslaw snob. At least I’m trying not to be. So to break away from coleslaw for a minute, creating slaws that are a little less on the soggy side is my forte. I eliminated the cabbage completely in this recipe. This chilled apple slaw is all about the crispness. The apples and celery add the perfect crunch, while jalapeno brightens things up and a mixture of mayo, sour cream, and apple cider vinegar tones the heat down. It’s so fun you guys, and it is PERFECT on hot dogs.
I swears it.
Recipe for this chilled apple slaw is below! Pair it with a pilsner or summery wheat ale and you’ll get all kinds of warm and fuzzy inside. Enjoy the rest of your Sundays friends! xo
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- 2 stalks of celery sliced
- 1 large green apple chopped into small cubes
- 1 jalapeno seeds and stem removed, chopped finely
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, sour cream, vinegar, chipotle chili powder and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the chives, celery, apple and jalapeno. Toss to thoroughly combine.
- Adjust seasoning to taste, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Serve by itself or on top of fresh greens on hot dogs! Enjoy!