Chilled Apple Salad with Roasted Hazelnuts: a side dish recipe to add to your fall menus!
This vegetarian salad is a play off of a traditional Waldorf salad. A mixture of Granny smith apples, red cabbage, red onion, celery, dried fruit and arugula is tossed with a homemade, tangy, sweet mayonnaise dressing. It is topped with hazelnuts that have been roasted to a nutty perfection, and fresh parsley provides a fresh green garnish on top. This chilled apple salad recipe just screams “fall,” and is the perfect side dish, appetizer or main course dinner entree!
Happy Friday, friends! I hope you all have FABULOUS plans for this weekend. Zach and I have a little camping trip/pig roast we are attending in the mountains to the east of us. I see many beers and bacon in our future. ;) I am not sad about this. Other than that, we will be indulging in all things football and football food. I’m also not sad about this.
So, are you guys as obsessed with apples right now as I am? I LOVE apples, and they grow a pretty fantastic one on the western slope of Colorado. Yes, there are orchards over there! Who knew!?
With this recipe, I wanted to play tribute to the apple by highlighting it in one of my favorite autumn salads. While this is not your traditional Waldorf salad, it’s kind of similar don’t you think? Inspired by a recipe from one of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks, this chilled apple salad is refreshing, delicate, and utterly delightful.
A cross between a slaw and a salad, this chilled apple salad must make it somewhere into your fall menu plan! Pair it with a pilsner and have a wonderful weekend! xo
Chilled Apple Salad with Roasted HazelnutsPrint Pin Rate
- 1 tablespoon finely minced yellow onion
- 1 clove of garlic finely minced
- 1 egg yolk fresh
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup walnut oil
- 1/3 cup canola oil
Chilled Apple Salad
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts lightly roasted and roughly chopped
- 4 cups red cabbage shredded or chopped
- 3 stalks of celery diced
- 3 Granny smith apples cored and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh dill chopped
- 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups baby arugula
- fresh parsley for garnish
- To the bowl of your food processor, add the onion, garlic, egg yolk, honey mustard, honey, vinegar and a pinch of sea salt. Turn the food processor on, and process the ingredients until well blended. With the food processor still running, drizzle in the oils. Continue to process until a thick mayonnaise forms. Set aside.
Chilled Apple Salad
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, celery, apple, onion, dill and dried cherries. Toss to combine. Add the sour cream, mayo and salt and black pepper to taste. Using a large wooden spoon toss the ingredients together to evenly coat. Fold in the baby arugula. Transfer the salad to a large platter and sprinkle with roasted hazelnuts and fresh parsley.
- Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Plenty More by Yotam Ottolenghi