I thought it was time that I take a small break from pumpkin recipes. What do you guys think? I’ve kind of been on savory pumpkin overload. I sincerely apologize for this! Well, I apologize for this until the next pumpkin recipe is published. Which, don’t tell anyone, but is in a couple of days. Shhh.
So while I am of course obsessed with all things pumpkin right now, game day food is right up there also. I seriously love this time of year, and indulging in game day treats is one of my favorite activities.
It’s definitely a known fact that I love to cook football food. I mean this website wouldn’t exist if I didn’t love to cook, but one thing is for certain…I hate being stuck in the kitchen during a major event. Whether this includes small gatherings to watch professional tennis, tailgating off the back of a pickup, or having a small homegate at my house, I hate not being able to mingle.
Also, I find that the more time you spend in the kitchen the last likely you are able to enjoy the food! It’s usually gone by the time you get to it, or you don’t even want it because you’ve literally been standing in front of a hot stove all day!
Within the past couple of years, I have seriously made it my goal to spend less time cooking and more time mingling during homegates. This took some serious recipe brainstorming. Creating recipes that can be finished in a jiffy or recipes that can be made ahead of time can be challenging! I’ve become quite the pro in the past year, though.
These crispy baked shoestring french fries were just one of the recipes I created for such a purpose. French fries are great game day food. They are great for a large crowd, easy to make, and are the perfect blank canvas for your favorite toppings. This particular recipe is one of my favorites. Loaded with fresh sweet peppers, fresh cilantro, and gooey, melty Kraft Natural cheeses, these french fries are a must. They are accompanied by an absolutely amazing turmeric queso that I seriously could slurp up with a spoon.
What? You don’t do that?
Find Kraft Natural Shreds and Kraft Natural Chunks at your local Walmart (along the perimeter of the store) while you’re picking up the rest of your homegating goodies! Looking for more game day grub inspiration? Attend a game time demo at a Walmart store near you on 9/26.
What would you make with Kraft Natural Shreds for your next game day party? Let me know in the comments below!
I really hope you guys absolutely love this recipe for crispy baked shoestring french fries with turmeric queso! It’s one of our favorites! You can find the recipe below! Have a wonderful day, friends! xo
Crispy Baked Shoestring French Fries with Turmeric QuesoPrint Pin Rate
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely minced
- 1 shallot finely minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces Kraft Natural Shreds - Cheddar cheese or Kraft Natural Chunk - Cheddar, shredded
- 8 ounces Kraft Natural Shreds - Monterey Jack cheese or Kraft Natural Chunk - Monterey Jack, shredded
- 1/2 cup cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt and black pepper
Crispy Baked Shoestring French Fries
- 2 large peeled russet potatoes cut into long thin strips
- nonstick canola oil spray plenty of it
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 pound sweet peppers sliced I used a variety of orange and red
- 4 ounces Kraft Natural Shreds - Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 green onions sliced (white and green parts)
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the pepper and shallot and cook for about 3 minutes. Whisk in the flour, and cook for an additional minute or until the flour is golden.
- Whisk in the milk in a steady stream. Continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes until thickened.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the cheddar and Monterey jack cheeses in small increments until melted and all of the cheese has been added.
- Whisk in the cream cheese until smooth. Season with the turmeric and a dash of salt and black pepper. Leave the queso over low heat, stirring occasionally until you are ready to serve. Alternatively, you can store the queso in the refrigerator for about 3 days and reheat when you are ready to serve.
Crispy Baked Shoestrong French Fries
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with foil. Spray the foil heavily with nonstick canola oil spray. Plcae the sliced potatoes on top and season heavily with sea salt and black pepper. Toss. Spray the fries with additional nonstick canola oil spray.
- Bake the potatoes for about 25 minutes, tossing them halfway through or until crispy and golden. Remove from heat and change the oven setting to a high broil.
- Top the french fries with sweet pepper, and sprinkle with the Monterey jack cheese. Place the fries back in the oven to let the cheese melt, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro and green onions.
- Serve the crispy baked shoestring french fries with turmeric queso and enjoy!