This super simple chicken and chorizo chili mac and cheese is a family-friendly weeknight dinner meal using pantry staples!
This post is sponsored by Annie’s Homegrown. All opinions are my own.
I don’t care how old I get, there is one thing that remains to be certain, I will never get tired of boxed macaroni and cheese. I’m sure many of you can relate. If you grew up in the 80s and 90s, there is definitely a sort of comfort that comes along with ripping open the package, stirring in that cheesy goodness, and devouring an entire box of macaroni and cheese. We always had our mac and cheese with hot dogs stirred in, and this has paved the way for an entirely new boxed mac and cheese revolution: putting everything and anything you can in it to give it your own twist.
Boxed mac and cheese has come a long way since the 80s however. There are so many different flavors these days, and somehow it has even gotten better for you! Zach and I still go crazy for boxed macaroni and cheese. Sometimes you just crave it you know? Once in a while I’ll go through a phase where I eat it every day for lunch, and there have been numerous times where we eat it for dinner (with hot dog pieces stirred in of course(:).
What I love the most about Annie’s Mac n Cheese is how you can get so creative with it with little to no work and time. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I am basically the master at spicing it up, and this super simple chicken and chorizo chili mac and cheese is one that we make pretty often around our house. Most of these ingredients I’m sure most of you will find in your pantry, and that’s what makes it so great. While spicy chorizo may be one of the ingredients you have to pick up at the store, I’m sure many of you have leftover chicken breast laying around.
Another thing I love about this chili mac and cheese, is how creamy it is. I’m a big fan of super creamy mac and cheese and Annie’s Mac n Cheese makes the perfect base for all of these delicious flavors.
So head over to your local Sam’s Club and pick up a few packages of Annie’s Organic Mac n Cheese. Sam’s Club will help you keep that pantry stocked up for months. This chili mac and cheese is a great way to get dinner on the table in a jiffy, without lacking in flavor! Enjoy!
P.S. I also have a super fun video for you! While I’m somewhat new to the video game (and still have quite a bit of work to do), I thought it didn’t come out terribly! Yay! Hopefully watching the video makes making this dish much easier for you!
Super Simple Chicken and Chorizo Chili Mac and CheesePrint Pin Rate
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1/2 pound loose chorizo sausage
- 1 14- ounce can diced tomatoes drained of juice
- 1 14- ounce can light red kidney beans
- 1 14- ounce can dark red kidney beans
- 1 fully-cooked boneless and skinless chicken breast shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder more to taste
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 boxes of Organic Annie's Mac and Cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cubed
- 1/3 cup whole milk more as needed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- In a large skillet, add the oil. Heat over medium heat, and add the onion. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute before adding the chorizo sausage. Break up the sausage and stir. Cook until the sausage is fully-cooked, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes, both kidney beans, chicken breast, cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper to taste, and chicken broth. Stir and cover. Cook for about 10 minute to allow the flavors to meld.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and add the shells from the 3 boxes of Annie's Mac and Cheese. Cook the shells until al dente, remove from heat, and drain. Set aside.
- Add the shells to the skillet with the meat and veggies. Stir to combine.
- In a separate medium saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the milk and the cheese powder from the boxes of mac and cheese. Whisk until smooth and creamy. Add more milk as needed. Pour the cheese sauce into the shell mixture and add the shredded cheddar cheese. Fold the ingredients together until fully combined.
- Keep warm until you are ready to serve. Garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy!