Break out the air fryer. This air fryer cajun coconut shrimp is the perfect sweet and spicy snack. Pair it with your favorite store-bought sweet and sour sauce or honey mustard sauce!
Suggested Beer Pairings
Hefeweizen – For a lighter yet sultry pairing. A hefeweizen will compliment this shrimp nicely without taking away from the dish’s flavors.
Light Porter – For something a little more robust. It’s weird. I know. But it actually works.
IPA – If you’re feeling hoppy. Hoppy beers pair very nicely with spicy dishes.
Beer pairings can be finicky. This dish will work with a wide variety of beers, so give your favorite a try!
Air Fryer Cajun Coconut Shrimp
Air frying is all the rage these days, so break it out for this simple and quick air fryer cajun coconut shrimp recipe. It all starts with the shrimp. In my personal opinion, the bigger the shrimp the better. Buy them cleaned and deveined. No one has time to clean a pound of shrimp. Coat the shrimp in a mixture of flour and cajun seasoning. Next, dip it in egg. Third, coat the shrimp in a mixture of coconut flakes and panko bread crumbs. Place the shrimp in a preheated air fryer that has been lightly coated with olive oil. Air fry the shrimp for 12-15 minutes or until they are cooked through and brown on both sides. Don’t forget to flip halfway through! Serve these shrimp with your favorite store-bought sweet and sour sauce or make the accompanying honey mustard sauce. You can’t go wrong either way.
Are you looking for more great shrimp recipes on Cooking and Beer? Well, we have a ton of them! Check out some of my favorite shrimp recipes!
- 1 lb cleaned and deveined raw shrimp
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- non-stick olive oil spray
Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Pat dry the shrimp with a paper towel. Set aside
- In one bowl, whisk together the flour, cajun seasoning, ground cayenne pepper, and salt. In another bowl, combine the shredded coconut flakes and panko bread crumbs. In a third bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Take 1 shrimp and dip it into the flour mixture first, the egg second, and the coconut flake mixture third. Press to adhere, and then place the shrimp on a clean plate. Repeat this step for the remaining shrimp.
- Preheat your air fryer for about 2-3 minutes at 400 degrees F. Spray your air fryer basket with non-stick spray, and then working in batches, air fry the shrimp for about 12-15 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Be careful not to overcrowd your air fryer.
- Pro-tip: Preheat your oven to 175 to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place the air fried shrimp. Place in the oven to keep warm as you air fry the remaining shrimp. Serve with honey mustard sauce (recipe below) and/or sweet and sour sauce.
Honey Mustard Sauce
- Combine all ingredients for the honey mustard sauce in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with air fryer cajun coconut shrimp. The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for about a week.
- Pro-tip: Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream may be substituted for the mayo for a lighter consistency.
Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram, and be sure to tag us if you make/made this dish!