You guys. This shrimp. Oh my. This has to be one of my favorite recipes to date. If you recall, a little while back I posted a recipe for Grilled Saison Shrimp Tacos with Pomegranate Salsa. They were soooo good that I decided to recreate the same recipe, but using an IPA rather than a saison and pairing it with a pomegranate sauce instead of a pomegranate salsa. The result was miraculous and now is one of my go-to weeknight meals!
What is so perfect about these shrimp, is that they are the best when you are trying to feed a large crowd. You can fit a lot of shrimp on one skewer, and they are literally ready in minutes.
These shrimp skewers are so versatile. When I prepared the shrimp, Zach and I stuffed them in a tortilla and drizzled them with the sauce. They are also great on a roll (in lobster roll fashion), on top of a salad or a plate of linguine. Your options are limitless.
The shrimp are delicious, but I think the real star of this recipe is the pomegranate sauce. It is so flavorful, and has just enough heat to compliment the shrimp. The sauce is also great with dumplings and other dippable pleasures. :)
I’m going to keep things short and sweet today, but before I go, let’s talk beer!
Brewed By: Epic Brewing
Style: India Pale Ale
Alcohol Content: 6.2%
Description: I’m really on a cooking with IPA kick here lately, especially when I get to cook with Epic Brewing’s Escape to Colorado IPA. It is a very hop-forward beer and pairs very well with spicy foods. I really think that IPAs add such a depth of flavor to any dish, and this shrimp dish is no different. With the bitterness you get with a normal IPA, it can help in toning down any extreme sweetness. I highly suggest cooking and pairing with this beer. It is extremely solid and can hold up to any dish you decide to cook with!
I hope everyone is surviving the week! Here’s the recipe!
Spicy IPA Shrimp Skewers with Pomegranate Sauce
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup sweet thai chili sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup IPA beer
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- FOR THE SHRIMP:
- 1 cup IPA Beer
- 3 cloves Garlic Cut In Half
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/2 pound Shrimp Peeled And Deveined
- 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 teaspoons Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder Or To Taste
- Begin by preheating your grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Prepare your sauce by combining the pomegranate juice, sweet thai chili sauce, soy sauce, IPA beer, honey, tomato paste, white wine vinegar, lime juice, fresh ginger, garlic powder, crushed red pepper and pepper in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the ingredients together and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Reduce from heat and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the beer and garlic and heat over medium-low heat. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until the beer has reduced and the alcohol has cooked out. Add the butter and allow it to melt. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon. Set the melted butter and beer mixture aside.
- Next prepare your shrimp. Wash your shrimp and pat them dry with a paper towel. Skewer the shrimp onto metal or wooden skewers. Please note that if you are using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before placing them above an open flame.
- Sprinkle the shrimp skewers with salt, pepper and chili powder. Brush the shrimp with the melted butter and beer mixture until evenly coated and place the skewers on the hot grill or grill pan. Cook for approximately 3 minutes on each side or until the shrimp are cooked through. Brush with more of the melted butter as they cook if you wish.
- Remove from heat and let them cool for just a minute. Serve the shrimp with the pomegranate sauce and enjoy!