Perfectly seared sausage patties, sandwiches between two fluffy cinnamon pancakes and then drizzled with about a gallon of maple syrup. Does it get much better than that?! I don’t know what it is about bite-sized food that gets me so excited. I think it’s their all-around cuteness that has me gravitating towards miniature food. I am a sucker for delicious pancakes or all shapes, sizes and flavors, and no pancake breakfast is complete with a little bit of salt (bacon or sausage). It’s that combination of sweet and savory that has me crawling back for more. These buttermilk and cinnamon mini pancake sandwiches with sausage are my ode to the perfect pancake breakfast, in a bite-sized, adorable form.
Is everyone enjoying the weekend!? I’m so happy that it’s Saturday and not Sunday. Knowing that I have that one extra day of the weekend just makes me so happy.
I’m sure many of you are like Zach and I. You’re either baking cookies, decorating trees or hanging lights on the spouting. These tasks have pretty much consumed our lives for the past week, and I’m totally not complaining. It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
I took a little break from baking these past couple of days and whipped up some different kinds of seasonal recipes. I mean, I don’t know about you guys, but I find that the dinners (and breakfasts) we tend to serve around the holidays are just as important as the cookies! That being said, there are a whole lot of slow cooker and heartwarming meals coming your way this week!
These mini pancake sandwiches are a recipe that I have been wanting to post for a while. They are bite-sized little packages of amazingness that are so balanced in flavor and SOOO addicting. Plus, the kiddos love them because, well, they are cute!
These mini pancake sandwiches are so very simple. Sausage patties are seared to perfection and sandwiched between two golden brown, fluffy, loaded with cinnamon mini pancakes. The pancakes taste like Christmas and that’s why I adore them for the holidays!
Top them with a fried egg if you are feeling spunky. Trust me…it’s delicious.
Have a great weekend everyone! Recipe and beer pairings are below! xo
Buttermilk and Cinnamon Mini Pancake Sandwiches with Sausage
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 pound pork sausage or breakfast sausage formed into 2 inch wide patties (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- maple syrup for serving
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add the sausage slices, and cook until brown on both sides and cooked through, about 5-6 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and transfer the sausage patties to a paper towel lines plate to get rid of any excess grease. Cover with foil and set aside.
- Preheat a griddle over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, sea salt and nutmeg. Whisk to combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until smooth.
- Spray the griddle lightly with a non-stick spray. In 1 tablespoon-sized dollops, drop the pancake batter onto the preheated griddle, spacing them evenly apart and making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until large bubbles form. Flip the pancakes and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a plate. Repeat this step for the remaining pancake batter.
- Form your sandwiches, by sandwiching a sausage patty between two pancakes. Drizzle with real maple syrup and enjoy immediately!