So I thought I’d post something somewhat healthy today. I know! I’m full of surprises! I fell in love with this salad the first time I had it. It’s so full of delicious sustenance. Fresh kale sautéed to perfection in a bed of aromatic garlic and crushed red pepper is just the start. Mix it with a simple long-grain brown rice and top with red cabbage and edamame. An egg is just the icing on the cake. If you’re looking for the perfect breakfast salad, this is it!
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday! I’m sad/relieved that it’s almost over. I mean I love the holidays.
It’s been a great couple of weeks and I’m totally looking forward to New Year’s Eve.
… but it’s always great to start anew, and that’s exactly what I’m looking forward to as we ring in the New Year. For starters, integrating some hearty, healthy dishes like this sautéed kale salad with edamame. I mean, I’m still having dreams of dancing spritz cookies and sugar-coated gum drops. That will never go away, of course, but it’s always nice to throw some greens in there.
No, not in the cookies…well maybe. Hm, kale in cookies. No? You’re totally right.
This salad is as simple as simple gets. It’s perfect any time of day, especially for breakfast! Recipe and a beer pairing are below! Have a great evening everyone! xo
Sautéed Kale Salad with Edamame and Brown Rice
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper plus extra for garnish
- 1 bunch of kale stems removed and chopped
- black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups frozen edamame thawed
- 1 cup red cabbage chopped
- 4 large eggs cooked to your liking
- Combine the water, rice and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Once tender, remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the kale and stir until wilted, working in batches if needed, about 2 minutes per batch. Season with black pepper and stir in the edamame. Cook for an additional 2 minutes or until the edamame is warm. Remove from heat
- Assemble your salad by combining the rice and kale mixture. Top with red cabbage and an egg. Season with more black pepper or additional crushed red pepper if desired. Serve immediately. Enjoy!