So, we are only a week away from the big day! Woohoo! Of course, I am sad that my team(s) aren’t partaking in the big game, but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy all that’s great about the Super Bowl, and that is OF COURSE the food. I like to play around with new recipes on Super Bowl Sunday. I usually will have tested them once or twice before I serve them, but I love to serve something new; and if you are “lucky” enough to be entertaining for the big game than chances are you will have some hungry mouths to feed. By hungry mouths, I mean that they will eat just about anything and everything in sight (the alcohol might have something to do with this) so it’s the perfect day to serve some new things! These chipotle ranch chicken wings are one of my favorites to date and will be the perfect addition to that game day spread.
Wings and guacamole: these are two dishes that will probably make it onto just about everyone’s game day menu. The two sell like hot cakes when the first Sunday in February rolls around.
Spoiler alert: I have a super amazing guacamole recipe that I will be posting later on this week.
Chicken wings are one of my favorites and Zach can tell you that it is one indulgence that we take advantage of AT LEAST once a month. The problem with chicken wings is the not-so-great-for-you thing, which is why I’m always trying to find new and improved ways of baking them off instead of frying them. Trust me, you can totally get that crispiness without having to fry them.
These chipotle ranch chicken wings are a prime example of this, and it’s all thanks to buttermilk. Anyone will tell you that buttermilk is a must-have for fried chicken. That fat, that glorious glorious fat just dominates in creating the perfect crispiness.
A combination of full-fat buttermilk, chipotle hot sauce and a homemade ranch spice mix provides the base for these wings. Wings and drumettes are marinated for at least 4 hours in this insanely delicious concoction. After this quick marinating session, you drain and then toss it in some more of the ranch spice mix. Bake them to perfection in a 425 degree F oven for 45-50 minutes (flipping once) and you’ll have the ultimate game day snack.
I’m all about the sauces and dressings when it comes to wings. I personally can not eat a traditional buffalo wing without blue cheese and I can certainly not eat these chipotle ranch chicken wings without this chipotle ranch sauce. It’s just sooooo cooling, refreshing and delicious…and also great with french fries might I add!
Pair these chipotle ranch wings with an IPA. It will cut into the heat and really bring a magnificent balance of flavor! Recipe is below. Enjoy the rest of your weekends! xo
Chipotle Ranch Chicken Wings with Chipotle Ranch Dressing
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- salt and black pepper
- 4 pounds chicken wings and drumettes
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chipotle hot sauce divided
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle chili powder, dried dill and a generous dash of salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, 1 tablespoon of the hot sauce and 1 tablespoon of the spice mix. Add the wings to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight. Remove from fridge, drain completely and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Spray generously with a non-stick spray. To a large bowl, add all but 1 tablespoon of the remaining spice mix. Add the wings and toss to evenly coat. Pour the wings onto the prepared baking sheet and space apart evenly. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until brown and crispy, flipping the chicken wings at the 35 minute mark.
- While your wings are baking prepare your chipotle ranch dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, Greek yogurt, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, chives, dill, remaining 1 tablespoon of hot sauce and remaining 1 tablespoon of spice mix. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- Serve the chipotle ranch wings with a garnish of fresh chives and the chipotle ranch dressing. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Food Network