Do you remember when I made these chipotle ranch chicken wings last month and how insanely delicious they were? Well I decided to turn it into crispy chicken thighs, and I am so happy that I did. I’ve been wanting to recreate that recipe for quite sometime. Those wings were absolutely magnificent and I think both Zach and I still have dreams about them, which is why I basically make them on a weekly basis. The other night when I asked Zach what he was craving for dinner, he told me he wanted those wings, but with no wings on hand and chicken thighs occupying some much needed fridge space, I decided to put it to the test. These buttermilk chipotle crispy chicken thighs were born and they immediately became one of our new go-to weeknight main course!
We eat chicken a lot, like a lot, a lot. This doesn’t sadden me. I love chicken in all shapes and forms. My go-to is usually boneless skinless chicken breasts, but chicken thighs are by far my favorite. They are loaded with so much flavor, and let’s be honest, the skin is the best part.
Well, I take that back. Skin is the best part when the chicken is cooked correctly. There is nothing more horrible in this world than an overcooked chicken thigh with flabby skin. EW!
The crispiness is what makes a perfect skin-on, bone-in chicken thigh. This recipe is fairly simple. I think the most important thing to remember is that you want a super hot pan when you’re searing off your chicken. If you think it’s too brown before flipping, it’s probably not.
I’m keeping things short and sweet today. It’s Sunday after all, which means my blankie, my kindle and a chai tea are currently calling my name. :)
Pair these thighs with a brown ale and have a wonderful week everyone! xo
Buttermilk Chipotle Crispy Chicken Thighs
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- salt and black pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chipotle hot sauce
- 6 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle chili powder, dill, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of the spice blend, buttermilk and hot sauce until mixed thoroughly. Add the chicken thighs and toss so that they are evenly coated. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Once your chicken has marinated, pull it from the fridge and drain through a colander.
- To a large bowl, add the remaining spice blend. Add the chicken and toss to evenly coat.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. In a large oven-safe skillet (I used cast iron), heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, skin-side down and sear for about 8-10 minutes or until the skin is crispy and brown. Flip the chicken and cook for an additional 3 minutes, then transfer immediately to the oven to cook for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 2 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and enjoy!