I haven’t posted a slow cooker recipe in a while, and I think it was about time don’t you? I mean, I think that every single one of us was thinking about/preparing wings, dips and guacamole because of that little old thing called the Super Bowl. Unless of course you made wings, dips and guacamole in your slow cooker…for that in which, I applaud you. Any who, it was totally time to share a slow cooker recipe, and this slow cooker honey balsamic pork is one of my all-time favorites. Dry-rubbed pork shoulder slathered in a concoction of honey, balsamic and some other deliciousness? What’s not to love?!
How is everyone’s Monday going?! I hope you are all are recovering from yesterday’s festivities. If you are me, then you are recovering from an insane day of non-stop skiing. It’s been a little while since I put on a pair of skis, and let me tell you, that I am SORE. Like REALLY sore … and tired … and I can’t feel my legs, etc etc etc. It’s all very interesting though since I am a pretty frequent runner. You would think that would be enough to keep me in shape, but no, not for my stick legs it wasn’t. All in all though, it was a great day and a beautiful day to be on the mountain … even though I can hardly keep my eyes open.
It’s ok though because I can dream about this slow cooker honey balsamic pork tonight, which I think would make the perfect post-ski meal!
The best thing about slow cooker meals is how easy they are. I make them more often than not because I get lazy after constantly cooking all the time. Sometimes dinner just needs to be easy. I make slow cooked pork and chicken all the time.
This slow cooker honey balsamic pork is as easy as it gets. Stick it in the slow cooker in the morning and just let it go. I enjoy it served over rice with a sprinkling of cilantro and a drizzle of store-bought garlic chili sauce. This creates the perfect combination of flavors.
Pair this honey balsamic pork with a porter. It is robust enough to stand up to the flavors going on in this extremely flavorful recipe but not so strong that it takes away from it!
Recipe is below! Have a great night everyone! xo
Slow Cooker Honey Balsamic Pork
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and black pepper
- 1 3- pound boneless pork shoulder
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons garlic chili sauce plus extra for topping
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon water
- rice for serving
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, Chinese five spice, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon crack black pepper. Pat dry your pork shoulder and rub it all over with the spice blend.
- Preheat a large saute pan over medium to medium-high heat. Sear the pork shoulder on all sides, until brown and caramelized. Transfer the pork shoulder to your slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, beef broth, balsamic vinegar and garlic chili sauce. Pour it over the pork shoulder.
- Cook the pork on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. Once cooked, remove the pork shoulder very carefully from the slow cooker. Pull the pork with two forks. Set aside.
- Pour the leftover sauce into a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer and add the cornstarch mixture. Whisk until the sauce begins to thicken about 4-5 minutes.
- Serve the honey balsamic pork on top of rice, garnished with fresh cilantro and drizzle with extra garlic chili sauce if desired.