I feel like this post is totally a day late. If I were truly thinking ahead of time, today’s blog post would have made the perfect post for meatless Monday. Ugh. Oh well. Monday happens once a week, and I don’t know about you guys, but I’m always looking for fun and new ways to amplify meatless Monday. Zach and I are all about taking advantage of these special days during the week. Don’t even get me started on National food holidays. These little events certainly keep things exciting and make each meal so much cooler than the last. Meatless Monday…Taco Tuesday…National Cake Pop Day…which by the way is today, and I totally have not celebrated it! To the cake pop universe: I apologize. So anyway, this Tuesday is all about meatless Monday, and these vegetarian patty melts using the new Boca Essentials Chile Relleno Burgers are the latest and greatest recipe to make it into the meatless Monday vault.
These vegetarian patty melts contain all of the essentials in making a patty melt great, without the meat of course. Caramelized onions, tender mushrooms, peppery arugula and melty provolone cheese come together with the perfect burger. Sandwich these ingredients between two perfect slices of rye bread, and your meatless Monday just got a whole lot more exciting.
The best part about these vegetarian patty melts? Well, it’s all about the chile relleno veggie burgers! I have to be honest with you guys. It’s rare that I gravitate towards veggie burgers when cooking at home, but that isn’t to say I don’t enjoy a good one every now and then. This is especially the case when we eat out. I am soooo happy that I had the chance to try the new Boca Essentials Chile Relleno Burgers. To describe these burgers in one word … deeeeelish! They have so much flavor, so much texture, and so many yummy varieties to choose from!
Boca Essentials is a line of vegetable- and grain-based patties that offers a source of “complete protein” to people looking for meatless meal options. Complete protein refers to the nine essential amino acids that the human body needs, but cannot produce on its own. While many of these amino acids are typically found in meat, each new Boca Essentials flavor contains all nine, in the correct proportion, to offer a protein-packed and delicious choice for those of you looking for meat alternative meal options and energy to help fuel your days.
You can find 3 varieties of these Boca Essentials veggie burgers:
Breakfast Scramble with potatoes, scrambled eggs and vegetables
Roasted Vegetables and Red Quinoa with brown rice
Chile Relleno with green chile peppers, black beans and brown rice
Speaking from experience, each one of these burgers is oh so scrumptious and worth working somewhere into your diet!
Recipe for these vegetarian patty melts is below! I hope everyone is having a great week! xo
Vegetarian Patty Melts with Chile Relleno Veggie Burgers
Servings:4 patty melts
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided (more as needed)
- 1 large yellow onion cut in half and sliced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- salt and black pepper
- 4 Boca Essentials Chile Relleno Burgers with green chile peppers black beans and brown rice
- 8 slices rye bread or other sandwich bread of choice
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 2 cups baby arugula
- In a large non-stick skillet, add 2 tablespoons of the butter and melt over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the onions just begin to caramelize. At 15 minutes, add the sliced mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms are tender and the onions are brown and caramelized, about 10 more minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Transfer the onions and mushrooms to a bowl and set aside. Place the skillet back on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
- There should be enough fat left in the pan to cook your veggie patties, but if it seems too dry, spray the pan with a non-stick spray. Once the pan is hot, add your 4 Boca Essentials Chile Relleno Burgers. Cook per manufacturer's instructions, about 6-7 minutes per side or until completed cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Assemble your sandwiches by placing 1 slice each on 4 slices of rye bread. Top each one with a handful of arugula, and place the veggie burgers on top. Top the veggie burgers with caramelized onions and mushrooms, and then place another slice of provolone cheese. Place the remaining 4 slices of rye bread on top.
- Preheat a griddle pan or large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, and cook the sandwiches in batches. Cook the sandwiches for about 3-4 minutes per side or until brown on each side, adding more butter where needed.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.