Paired with a Pilsner
Hello everyone! Long time no talk! I don’t count yesterday’s post (which by the way is a giveaway for your own KitchenAid stand mixer with ice cream attachment … so uh hello … head on over to enter) which didn’t contain a recipe. It’s seriously only been a week, but I feel like it’s been so long since I’ve had the chance to chit-chat with you guys! I’m so happy to be back.
It’s been a crazy couple of weeks, and it all slows down today. Between moving into our temporary living situation, and entertaining close family, I’m on the brink of falling over. I think I will dedicate this upcoming weekend to sleeping…all day…and all night. Hey, I can do that now right? I mean I do live at almost 8000 feet now. You tend to get sleepier at this altitude…at least that’s what I’m telling myself to make myself feel better. Right? Right.
Before I do pass out, I’m going to talk about breakfast for a hot second. One thing I miss most when living in a hotel is warm, homemade breakfast. Oh sure, the Hilton can put on a good breakfast show, but it’s nothing like making your own. That’s what I craved most when living in a hotel for a week. My body is definitely not accustomed to eating out for every single meal of the day. Of all the dishes I craved, I craved baked eggs the most. In normal Justine life, I eat baked eggs at least 2-3 times a week. It’s one of my favorite ways to eat eggs, and these baked eggs with creamed spinach is one of my latest obsessions. It’s creamy, melty, gooey and so comforting. If you are a fan of eggs of the baked variety, give it a go! It’s super delish.
Recipe for these baked eggs is below! Pair it with a pilsner if you’re feeling extra spunky, and have a wonderful day! xo
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- salt and black pepper
- 8 room temperature eggs
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- fresh thyme for garnish
- homemade croutons or bread crumbs for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 4 large ramekins (or small cast iron skillets) with a non-stick spray and place them on a large baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add 1/4 cup of water. Add the spinach and cook for about 2 minutes, tossing frequently, until wilted. Transfer to a strainer and press out any remaining liquid. Set aside.
- To the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the spinach, heavy cream, mustard and a generous amount of salt and black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes until warmed through and thick. Remove from heat.
- Divide the spinach evenly among the prepared ramekins. Break 2 eggs into each ramekin and sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake for about 8 minutes for runny eggs, or cook longer until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Remove from heat and garnish with fresh thyme and bread crumbs. Enjoy!
These baked eggs honestly look just phenomenal! Loving the creamy spinach with the two types of cheese and homemade croutons!
Thank you so much, Medha!
Such a pretty breakfast dish to wake up to! I always love your photos.
Aw, thank you so much Melanie! <3
Looks like I’ll be breaking out the cast iron skillet this weekend! Gorgeous photos!
Thanks Beth! xo
Yum! I love baked eggs too! I hope things calm down a bit for you! We’ve been crazy busy too… ready for a few quiet weeks at home!
Right?! Thanks girl!
That is one of my favourite ways to eat eggs. Looks so delicious!
Thank you so much, Byron!
Wow! The croutons is what sold me on this dish! It looks absolutely delicious!
This is going to be my Sunday breakfast. Sounds so yumm!! Thanks for sharing – Sreelatha
Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it!
This is making me HUNGRY! Love that you used creamed spinach. Extra special! And that little crunchy croutons! It would be a truly comforting warm breakfast.
Aw, thank you so much! <3
What a great name for a blog, directly got me intriguied, haha! The recipe is also just my kind of thing. Funny enough, I talked to a dietitian yesterday and she recommended 2-3 eggs a week! I eat 1-2 a DAY! Somehow I’m also not convinced she’s right in that case…
HA! I definitely eat eggs wayyyyy more than that! Thank you so much, Howie!
These look fabulous!!
Thank you so much, Kelley!
This looks absolutely delicious!!
Oh my goodness these look so fantastic! I love baked eggs, and these look so good (I don’t know if i would be game to have a pilsner for breakfast – brunch maybe? :) ). Great photos btw!
Haha, I don’t know if I’d be game for a pilsner for breakfast either. ;) Brunch would be ok though! Thanks Donna!
I’m all over this! Need to find those cute little rustic skillets too. And I love the photography on this, beautiful!
I found them at World Market (aka … the devil). Thanks Matt!