Grilled Eggplant Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette is the perfect side dish or appetizer recipe to serve at your next picnic!
Eggplant is brushed with olive oil and seasoned simply with salt and black pepper. It then cooks on a hot grill or grill pan until charred on both sides. Drizzle with a mustard vinaigrette that contains whole grain mustard, dijon mustard and white wine vinegar. Sprinkle the eggplant with some micro greens for some freshness and the result is a fresh and delicious way to highlight a great summer vegetable!
Oh Sunday, how I adore you so. How has everyone’s weekend been? Zach and I are getting settled into our new town, which just happens to fall around the same time that the biggest festival this small Wyoming town has to offer occurs. This is a place that is crawling with cowboys. Like, real-life cowboys. The boots, the buckles, the hats…It’s the norm, and I’m in love with it. We checked out the farmer’s market on Friday, which I must say was very impressive! Who knew you had so many local delicacies in this part of the country?! Most of these products were meat-related: elk, beef, lamb, you name it…they had it. Also, the honey…oh my, the honey. Oh, and the goat’s cheese! I’ll stop now. I’m sorry.
Oh wait, one more thing. This small town even has the best food market co-op I’ve ever seen in my life, and because this town literally only has a Safeway and any other major grocery store is about an hour’s drive, this makes me very excited! They literally had everything you could ever want. I could live in this store you guys. Ok, now I’ll stop. Am I the only one that gets excited about small town, family-owned grocery stores that sell only local, all-natural and organic products?!
Anyway, Saturday we experienced our first small town brew fest, which was ALSO quite impressive. Wyoming has some pretty delicious brews you guys. Both Saturday and Sunday were spent getting acclimated to running at a much higher elevation than we ran when we lived in the Denver/Fort Collins area. I am a pretty regular runner, and I have been seriously struggling. Not to mention that the growing season occurs a little bit later here so literally EVERYTHING is blooming. It has not been a very successful couple of days running the trails, but hopefully we get used to it!
The best part of this weekend is completely devoted to this grilled eggplant salad with mustard vinaigrette, however. I made this dish before we moved out of our home in Colorado, when we had access to a grill. So excuse me while I salivate and cry just a little because I won’t have access to a grill until the end of August. *sad face*
I absolutely love eggplant, and I think it doesn’t get nearly enough love. I know many people who don’t like it, but there are so many ways to prepare it that works! This recipe is one of my favorite ways to prepare it. It’s simply seasoned with salt and black pepper and grilled until charred (I love that char). Drizzled with a perfect mustard vinaigrette because you guys know how obsessed I am with mustard and sprinkled with fresh micro greens, this grilled eggplant salad is a must-make this summer. Make it!
Recipe for this grilled eggplant salad is below! Pair it with a summery and light farmhouse ale. It’s a match made in heaven! Talk to you guys tomorrow! xo
- 2 medium-sized eggplant top removed and sliced lengthwise
- salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil plus extra for brushing
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup micro greens
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-hight heat. Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil on both sides. Season generously with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the whole grain mustard, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard and a dash of salt and black pepper until combined. Whisk in the olive oil until fully incorporated and then stir in the fresh parsley and thyme. Adjust seasoning to taste. Set aside.
- When your grill or grill pan is hot, add the eggplant and grill for about 5 minutes before flipping and grilling for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drizzle the eggplant with the mustard vinaigrette and garnish with fresh micro greens. Enjoy immediately!