Crispy coconut chicken, brie and avocado tostadas: a quick weeknight meal or quick appetizer that’s healthy AND comforting!
Chicken breast is sliced into strips and dredged in a sweet and savory coconutty concoction. The chicken strips are then baked, not fried, to crispy perfection. Place them on slightly charred corn tortillas and layer on the brie and avocado. These tostadas hit all kinds of different flavor notes. Serve them for lunch or dinner!
Why hello there friends! Happy Monday! I hope you guys had a wonderful weekend and indulged in all kinds of game day treats, apple-flavored desserts, and pumpkin-spiced coffee drinks. It has been quite beautiful here in southern Wyoming. I don’t think it has actually rained in weeks, and it has been dry, sunny and just gorgeous. I could hang on to this fall sunshine forever. The leaves are changing color and the nights are cool. Fall is officially here.
Besides attending the annual GABF festival and indulging in all kinds of wonderful food and beer pairings, our weekend was a pretty simple one. I am super thankful for it though. October is going to prove to be quite the busy month, and I’ll hold onto these lazy weekends as much as I can!
Speaking of lazy, I’ve done a pretty good job ignoring the full boxes sitting in my basement begging to be unpacked. I look at it this way, I basically have the rest of my life to unpack those boxes. They can wait it out for a month or two while I enjoy my lazy Sundays. ;)
So I have a small confession to make. I’m kind of obsessed with corn tortillas. Like so obsessed with corn tortillas that I will eat them with just about anything: veggies, poultry, rice, cocoa puffs…well maybe not cocoa puffs, but you catch my drift. Right?
Corn tortillas are one of those ingredients that always hold a special place in my pantry. I always have them on hand, and when I’m not sure what to make for dinner, I normally always use them in some shape or form. These crispy coconut chicken tostadas are made frequently in this house. They are so simple and are the perfect little blank canvases to add your favorite ingredients. Cheeses, jams, veggies…the sky is the limit. For the recipe I decided to share with you guys today, I decided to go with brie and avocado; which just so happens to be one of my favorite food combos.
Recipe for these little cuties is below! Pair them with a coconut porter and have a wonderful week! xo
Crispy Coconut Chicken, Brie and Avocado Tostadas
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- non-stick canola oil spray
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 ounces brie cheese sliced
- 2 avocados peeled, pitted and sliced
- 8-10 corn tortillas lightly charred
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and line a large lipped baking sheet with parchment paper, foil or a silicone baking mat. Spray it generously with a non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In one shallow bowl add the flour. In a second shallow bowl add the beaten eggs. In a third shallow bowl combine the cornflake crumbs, shredded coconut, bread crumbs, salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Give it a good toss.
- Taking each chicken tender, dredge in the flour, and then the egg, and then the coconut mixture. Press to adhere where needed and lay the chicken out on the prepared baking sheet. Once you have done this for all of the chicken tenders, spray them generously with a non-stick spray.
- Bake the chicken for 20-25 minutes or until brown and crispy on top and the chicken has cooked through. Remove from heat and let stand for 2-3 minutes.
- Preheat your broiler on low. Assemble your tostadas by layering cheese and chicken on the corn tortillas. Place them on a large baking sheet lined with foil (this may need to be done in batches) and place in the oven for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese is just slightly melty. Remove from heat and add the sliced avocado. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and enjoy!